Air compressors and attachments

Discussion in 'Tools' started by shan2themax, Nov 24, 2019.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Nov 24, 2019 #1

shan2themax

shan2themax

shan2themax

I'd like to try to find some decent deals on an air compressor and air guns, spray gun for painting house etc.
    I'm not sure what I need. The projects that I ***may*** do myself starting this spring are: removing and replacing siding (lp smartside or t1-11 or something in a 4x8 sheet), I'll be laying new plywood throughout the house, sooner, or later. I would be replacing all baseboards ( already pulled off), I'd like to maybe do some simple woodworking hobby stuff, I'll need to paint the house inside and outside. And I may turn the screened in back porch into a 3 season room, so i would be doing some framing and such. So.... how big of a compressor would i need and what size nail guns, and what about paint sprayers (or should I go with an electric one). Some of these projects I wont be able to get to for a while, I just dont want to buy stuff and then need something more powerful later on.
    You fellas always have good ideas and great advice

2. Nov 24, 2019 #2

pjones

pjones

pjones

Decide what tools you want to run off of it and find their rated CFM requirements. When choosing a compressor you need to understand that the rated CFM output of the compressor is highly inflated and you will not get the actual CFM out of it that is says. It seems to be an accepted practice among manufacturers so just be aware you need to get one much larger than what your tools requirements specify.

How much larger? I can’t say, I don’t have that info. Maybe someone else here will have that knowledge. If I were to guess I would say to double what you need.

shan2themax likes this.
  3. Nov 24, 2019 #3

Gary

Gary

Gary

I have a 2 wheel upright 120v compressor that's small enough to pull around the house for things like nail guns and light orbital sanding. For paint spraying I have a larger 220V compressor but it stays where it is and I just use extension hoses. However, the type of spraying you're talking about I think I'd use airless. Much less overspray, and better able to handle the type of paint you'd most likely be using for home projects.

shan2themax likes this.