Alternate Paint Methods - Spray Gun Systems?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddzc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a home and will be moving into it this week. The only problem is the poor choice of color on both the main floor and the second floor. I have to basically repaint the entire house.

My question is, are there any other quicker faster painting solutions other than rolling? I heard of the spray gun systems which can be purchased, does anyone have any recommendations? The entire house will be gutted so it should be a bit easier for me to use a spray gun system, I believe.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Ddzc: The only problem with spraying is that you have to spend so much time masking off everything you don't want to get sprayed. But, if you don't mind getting stuff all over everything cuz it's gonna be covered up later anyhow, that's probably the fastest way.

However, be aware that you can't really spray bare drywall or bare joint compound without back rolling. A spray gun just doesn't have the pressure to drive the paint into the porous surface of the drywall or joint compound the way a brush or roller does, and so you don't get very good adhesion of the primer to unpainted surfaces without a follow up back rolling.

You might want to talk to the people in the paint stores that sell paint sprayers. They'd know more than I.

What I do is paint all my corners with a roller that has nap on it's end as well, so that the paint gets right into the corner. Then I allow that paint to dry. Then I use a piece of sheet metal with some painter's masking tape on it's edge (to prevent marking the wall) and use an ordinary 3 inch paint roller with the sheet metal to paint right up to the corner (but not get any paint on the opposites side of the corner). Then, I fill in all the walls where the edging has already been done using the two previous rollers with 10 inch rollers.

That's about the fastest way I know of to paint without using a sprayer.

Yeah, they sprayers are actually more work in many ways. You have a lot of time masking as nestor said. You have LOTS of time cleaning. You cant just paint for an hour here and an hour there. Cleanup itself could take an hour. Additionally, for the spray job to look right you still need to roll over it.

I get asked quite often my opinions on gimmick things. One such thing is the paint stick. Its a roller than can store paint in the handle and feed it into the roller. This works pretty well in that it saves you from going back and forth to the paint tray. The cleanup is longer than just cleaning a roller so only use it if you are going to be doing a large area. Also, when using it, I have someone else do cut ins if possible. You want to be able to roll over the cut in wet edge for a professional result.

If you can find someone who can cut in the ceiling without needing to mask it off then you can save time there too. Its a technique that can be learned but is hard to describe in a post.

Lastly - if you are going to mask things off check out frog tape. I haven't tried it yet but I definitely will on my next project. Frog Tape Painter’s Tape with PaintBlock Technology Watch the video on that page. Looks neat and cures my frustration with the regular painters tape if it works.

This is a great post. There is a guy that wanted to "spray" our house and now i think i will find someone else!

Back