Alternative to Loctite?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
I need to fix a nut in place on a pair of pruning sheers and there is little room for a lock washer. A quarter turn tighter and they bind, a quarter turn looser and there is too much slop. I hate to buy a tube as I have not used for something like 40-50 years so I might never need to use it again. Any suggestions for an alternative or should I just buy some and let the tube gather dust?

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nylon washer or thin flat washer.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Reaction score
With things like that if you can get a longer bolt or find two thinner nuts you can lock one nut against the other and they will stay put. Another trick i have done is to peen the threads just a tiny bit so the nut wont thread on freely and then wrench it on.

Snoonyb

Reaction score
Aircraft nut, locknut or a center punch and a 4lb hammer.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
Great ideas. I think a nylock nut would be too tall, as would two thin nuts (which I don't have) but I will try a thin flat washer - and peening the nut I certainly and and will do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Snoonyb

Reaction score
Actually, the center punch is et in the center of the bolt/screw, and hammered, just one solid rap, causes a slight expansion of the bolt/screw.

rbm328

Reaction score
get a little dab of your wifes nail polish. works great!

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
Actually, the center punch is et in the center of the bolt/screw, and hammered, just one solid rap, causes a slight expansion of the bolt/screw.
Interesting! I learned this trick so many years ago I had forgotten about it but was told to use a punch to peen a small dimple where the nut meets the threads. I will try your way first.

Latest posts