Alternative to Loctite?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
I need to fix a nut in place on a pair of pruning sheers and there is little room for a lock washer. A quarter turn tighter and they bind, a quarter turn looser and there is too much slop. I hate to buy a tube as I have not used for something like 40-50 years so I might never need to use it again. Any suggestions for an alternative or should I just buy some and let the tube gather dust?

Nylon washer or thin flat washer.

With things like that if you can get a longer bolt or find two thinner nuts you can lock one nut against the other and they will stay put. Another trick i have done is to peen the threads just a tiny bit so the nut wont thread on freely and then wrench it on.

Aircraft nut, locknut or a center punch and a 4lb hammer.

Great ideas. I think a nylock nut would be too tall, as would two thin nuts (which I don't have) but I will try a thin flat washer - and peening the nut I certainly and and will do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually, the center punch is et in the center of the bolt/screw, and hammered, just one solid rap, causes a slight expansion of the bolt/screw.

get a little dab of your wifes nail polish. works great!

Actually, the center punch is et in the center of the bolt/screw, and hammered, just one solid rap, causes a slight expansion of the bolt/screw.
Interesting! I learned this trick so many years ago I had forgotten about it but was told to use a punch to peen a small dimple where the nut meets the threads. I will try your way first.

Back