Am I using the right stuff?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davecuz

Reaction score
Just laid sheet vinyl in my bathroom, a small job in prep for doing bigger kitchen job. I put down a good quality underlayment. From what I read on sites such as this one, you should patch the joints and nail indents and then sand smooth.

The surprise came when I went to sand the patched areas. The patching compound had dried as hard as concrete (in fact I think it was concrete) and I couldn’t sand it. It just wore away the grit on my paper with no noticeable effect on the patch. I was able to scrape and get it to the point where I could lay the vinyl.

Before I do the kitchen, which is a much larger area, I want to make sure I’m using the right patching material. It was Simple Prep Pre-Mixed Floor Patch.

If that’s the right stuff, how the heck do I sand it?

Thanks.

from a pro, DON"T USE PRE-MIXed floor patch. When U patch just skim coat the seams and nail indents, be sure to feather out the edges of the patch. Use the least amount possible to obtain the desired thickness. We sand floor patch with a floor buffer with a 16 grit paper. Sand the patch as soon as its hard enough not to clog the sand paper.

So it is the right stuff, just mix it myself and spread it on thin?

Latest posts

Back