An introduction

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binictican

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just joined and I am so happy (maybe) to have found this site.
I say maybe because I have a headache from reading up on all my questions and have also discovered I have a lot of research (code) and work to do.

But thats why I DIY I suppose.

I try not to do more than one project at a time, but I have also bitten off more than I should in the past.

I think I know my limitations. But do push the limit some, new things can be a lot of fun, and of course aggravating.

I live in Washington State, I have a pier and beam house (I think), built in the early 60"s, with a (old) plastic covered dirt crawl space which is also vented. The plastic is not sealed etc. I do have a sump pump which = lots of moisture from the amount of rain we get.

I have a whole lot of projects in mind but I am now thinking I should take care of the sealing of my crawl space plastic liner, depending on code.

Believe me, I wish I had found this site a long time ago.

I will probably revisit some of my past projects, perhaps as a lessons learned posting.

Thank you very much for having this forum and the participation.

My home and I appreciate it!!!!

Welcome Benictican:
If it is possible, you would be better off with a drain laying on top of the footer at the low corner of the house. Then make sure the dirt is sloping away from the house all the way around, even if it takes digging a swale (a shallow ditch that you can run your lawn mower through without trouble) around part of the house.
It is good to have the plastic sealed to the foundation and any piers in the middle, plus the joints should be lapped 6" to 1' and sealed also. Use plastic roof cement to do the sealing porcess.
You could also gain some energy savings by lining the inside of the foundation with 2" thick styrofoam.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back