Anti-Arc Breakers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky617

Reaction score
I'm finishing my basement and know I need to put in GFCI/Anti-arc outlets or breakers. Are they required for lighting circuits? I went to technical school in HS to be an electrician but that was a few generations of code ago and anti-arc circuits didn't exist at the time. GFCIs were still fairly new at the time. I don't work for a living as an electrician.

A quick scan on the web says outlets.

Bedrooms require the ARC breakers and basements require GFIC outlets/breakers.
If they make a combo GFIC/ARC then that's what should be installed if there is a bedroom down there, otherwise, GFIC breaker or outlets.

Bedrooms require the ARC breakers and basements require GFIC outlets/breakers.
If they make a combo GFIC/ARC then that's what should be installed if there is a bedroom down there, otherwise, GFIC breaker or outlets.
I'm planning on using the combo breaker. The town guidelines call for them.

I'm planning on using the combo breaker. The town guidelines call for them.

Just a heads up for you in case you were not aware of this.
A breaker that has both AFCI and GFCI protection is a "dual function" breaker not "combo". I only say this because many AFCIs are marked CAFCI (combination AFCI) which in terms means it is only a AFCI breaker which protections in combination with "parallel" and "series" arch faults not both AFCI and GFCI faults.
So there is a distinct different between a "CAFCI" and a "dual function" AFCI/GFCI".

A CAFCI will not protect against ground faults which is what a GFCI does. I just wanted you to be aware of this so when you purchase the breaker you can watch out for this to be sure you purchase the proper breaker.

Not Anti-Arc
AFCI = A.rc F.ault C.ircuit I.nterrupter
GFCI = G.round F.ault C.ircuit I.nterrupter

I know some are going to come along and correct me but the overall terminology is correct here.

Last edited:

sparky617 - you're just interchanging the terms again and confusing some of the persons.

You want a "dual function" not "combination" breaker for your panel if you are looking for one breaker to provide both AFCI and GFCI protection. Therefore the breaker you provided the link for provides the protection for both AFCI and GFCI faults. Although this is the proper function breaker for your needs I don't know if the model of the breaker is specific for your panel as you never gave us this information. Just because a breaker is the same brand as the panel does not mean it is rated for the panel. Also, just because a breaker fits in your panel does not mean it is rated for your panel.

Again, the term "combination" is usually referred to only AFCI protection which protects from arc faults in combination series and parrell arc faults. The older AFCIs were called "AFCI" the newer ones that protect both S and P faults are now called "CAFCI" which is combination AFCI which only protects for arc faults.

sparky617 - you're just interchanging the terms again and confusing some of the persons.

You want a "dual function" not "combination" breaker for your panel if you are looking for one breaker to provide both AFCI and GFCI protection. Therefore the breaker you provided the link for provides the protection for both AFCI and GFCI faults. Although this is the proper function breaker for your needs I don't know if the model of the breaker is specific for your panel as you never gave us this information. Just because a breaker is the same brand as the panel does not mean it is rated for the panel. Also, just because a breaker fits in your panel does not mean it is rated for your panel.

Again, the term "combination" is usually referred to only AFCI protection which protects from arc faults in combination series and parrell arc faults. The older AFCIs were called "AFCI" the newer ones that protect both S and P faults are now called "CAFCI" which is combination AFCI which only protects for arc faults.

The one I linked is the correct brand for my panel. I misspoke when I said combination instead of dual function. Can't edit the post after a set time.

Back