anxious to get dirty!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88rxn/a

Reaction score
new guy here, tom.
i recently bought a house that's 99% remolded. new siding, new roof, studded and insulated, wired, plumbed, sheetrock, all except the kitchen and the heat. right now we are surviving on electric baseboard heaters (even though its +2 degrees outside) and a old in-efficient heater in the basement untill i finish putting in baseboard and a indoor wood boiler. its a 2 story full basement house. im looking forward for advice and help along the way as we begin the repairs and upgrades to the house.

Then expect to get lots of answers, we look forward to helping you as much as we can. There are plenty of good folks here with different experiences.
Pictures get lots of responses, welcome to the homestead.:D

99% remodeled may be a little optimistic. A kitchen re-do is one of the most expensive remodels. potentially, in any house. A new heating system is also up there in costs, more so if you move from one type to another.

Around here electric heat is the most expensive heating option. That may or may not be your situation.

Putting in any type of boiler heating plant may require major work in all areas of the house. Are there ducts for AC in place that you could force hot air or are you doing to do hot water baseboards or underfloor radiant?

Adding ducts to a house without them can be a challenge. Adding hot water baseboards in a finished house is also a challenge. Its best to do these things while the other remodeling is going on due to the destruction of walls and floors that may be required.

Anyway - When you get to specific pints in your projects then ask away. You will get good advice here.

Anyway - When you get to specific pints in your projects then ask away. You will get good advice here.[/QUOTE said:
Depends on how many "pints" he has before he asks away.:D
I could not resist the misspell.;)

ha, ok 90% finished. i realized that the final 2 projects are indeed the most expensive.
there is 1 portion of the wall thats not sheetrock so im using that access for the baseboard.this will allow me to run a complete loop without further modifacation to the other walls for the upstairs. the whole house will be baseboard.the dining room does have tile so im worried about cracking it to run my water lines for it (drilling though to the basement)?? any suggestions? i would love to use radiant heat since it requires less temp then baseboard. has anyone ever heard of gasification boilers?
i will be purchasing an orlan EKO wood gasifier. these are VERy efficent and by using a heat load calc. i will be cutting the most 7 cords of wood to heat the house from october to march.
as for the kitchen, well...i can set a ball on the floor and watch it take off.
im all about taking pics.
im glad you people are here to help since im a new guy when it comes to fixing up the house.

thanks again!

Latest posts

Back