any kitchen faucet brands to avoid?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel2229

Reaction score
We are looking for single hole faucets at Lowes or Home Depot and are wondering if there are any brands to avoid. So far we have seen Price Pfister, Moen, Kohler, and Delta faucets that match our needs. All of these models have a spray nozzle that pulls out and a single handle for controlling water flow.

I have already discovered that the numbers on the boxes must be done especially for Lowes as when we Google the numbers, they can't be found.

Is there one brand we should just stay away from? We are going with the stainless finish this time. The last one we had was a Price Pfister in an oil rub finish. It worked well but the lime crust showed up rather quickly with our hard water and the dark finish.

The faucet before that was a Moen with a white porcelean? finish (probably just cheap white enamel) that chipped off in several places. We had to get replacement parts from the customer service, and it was a bear to replace. Of course, they did not want to replace the faucet, just the parts. I had to talk to the guy on the phone while replacing the the part. What a pain!

We have Moens in our bathrooms and have never had trouble with them.

Thanks for your help.

Hi: I"m not a plumber. I"ve lived in my home 19 years. Borrow money if you have to. Buy the most expensive one. Then you"ll be done.

No price...I would go kohler, or moen.

I would also go to a plumbing supply store.:D

Hey Daniel:
I agree with InspectorD 100% on this one. We destroy the finish on our faucets with harsh cleaners and bleach. They are best cleaned with soap and water and then dried, which will extend their life and improve their looks.
Glenn

You are correct that those brands were made exclusively for Lowes or Home Depot. The differences can range as far as being brass to being plastic. Buying from a Plumbing Supply store will cost more but worth it in the long run. A company I used to work for doing new homes always installed crane faucets. A customer set a Sterling faucet on the counter with a note to install it instead. I did, and could not even get water to flow through it. he complained later and took the Sterling back and wanted us to install the Crane. Was real mad when he got charged the labor fee.

Price Pfister, Moen, Kohler, and Delta all have a good reputation. Probably Delta would be the cheapest of the bunch. If you had your heart set on a Delta I wouldn't hesitate to put it in. Moving down the quality ladder would then come American Standard then the store brands like Glacier Bay. I would at least avoid Glacier Bay and the like unless maybe I was flipping a house.

My favorites are Moen, Price Pfister and Kohler. I have Kohler everything in my current house.

You also have those Italian sounding company names with euro price tags as well.

I believe Delta is guaranteed for life. Must be good if there willing to stand behind it for that long.

after trying various brands i have settled on moen have had nothing but for a long time and anytime something has gone wrong i go to to rona and they hand me replacement parts free and no questions asked strongly recommend god luck

Price Phister's plating sucks as does their body mat'l, IMHO. They can't take hard water well--ours started getting eaten away in a few months and actually froze so it wouldn't swivel.

Moen rocks. Moen installs faster and even gives you a long fiber-filled socket to tighten the keeper nut. With PP, I had to get under there with one of those dumb knuckle buster faucet wrenches. 3 local plumbers said Moen when asked. We have the Moen Caprillo pull-out in SS.

The Price Pfister I bought is not the top of the line by any stretch of the imagination, but not the bottom of the barrel either. Basically all I wanted was water IN my sink not UNDER it.
The cup where the diverter fits the shank is defective and when I called Price Pfister they said that they didn't have a replacement part for that 'yet'. Uh, I don't want a replacement part for a brand new faucet Long story short: returned the PF and got a Moen. Again not the top of the line but this time's the water's in the sink. Thanks Moen.

Delta, Moen, and Kohler are all reliable brands but if money's not an option, go with Hansgrohe. They're a German company who make really elegant, functional, guaranteed products.

I would be wary of purchasing a faucet made by Kingston Brass.

Delta faucets have a lifetime parts and finish warranty for the original owner. They are reliable and simple to repair. If you are looking for something a little more high end, then choose Brizo which is Delta's higher end (used to be Delta Select). I work in customer service for Delta Faucets. I can honestly tell you that we care about our customers.

We've had Glacier Bay faucets in our bathroom sink for five years. Never an issue.

We paid good money for a very nice kitchen set (Peerless/Delta) about 10 years ago. Trouble within the first year and regular issues ever since. It’s been one thing after another. Replace this part. Replace that part. The warranty doesn’t cover X (fill in problem of the week). Thankfully, a new sink and faucet set are on the list of a kitchen upgrade that is currently in progress.

However … for the bathroom upgrade that is also in progress, we recently replaced yet another once pricey Kohler shower/tub set that only started to give us fits shortly before its replacement. (It was at least 15 years old, maybe a little older. And the brass finish held up beautifully for most of those years.) We bought a Kingston Brass set (from VanDyke’s). Not installed a week and problems already. Wish I'd seen this thread last year!

Can’t say this is giving me a lot of hope for or confidence in the kitchen set also from Kingston. But I’ll reserve judgment until it goes in and let you know!

Last edited:
We are looking for single hole faucets at Lowes or Home Depot and are wondering if there are any brands to avoid. So far we have seen Price Pfister, Moen, Kohler, and Delta faucets that match our needs. All of these models have a spray nozzle that pulls out and a single handle for controlling water flow.

I have already discovered that the numbers on the boxes must be done especially for Lowes as when we Google the numbers, they can't be found.

Is there one brand we should just stay away from? We are going with the stainless finish this time. The last one we had was a Price Pfister in an oil rub finish. It worked well but the lime crust showed up rather quickly with our hard water and the dark finish.

The faucet before that was a Moen with a white porcelean? finish (probably just cheap white enamel) that chipped off in several places. We had to get replacement parts from the customer service, and it was a bear to replace. Of course, they did not want to replace the faucet, just the parts. I had to talk to the guy on the phone while replacing the the part. What a pain!

We have Moens in our bathrooms and have never had trouble with them.

Thanks for your help.

I dont know what brand name to avoid. but for me the kohler forte faucet is the best

I dont know what brand name to avoid but for me the kohler forte faucet is the best

For me, the Moen cartridges get seized by calcium and you have to destroy it to get them out, even if you have the special extraction tools.

My experience? DELTA and Moen. Price-Pfister is cheaply made. Customer service at DELTA is superior to them all for installation and replacement parts. I had a shower handle snap off (drunk lady -- long story) and they sent out not just the handle but the replacement cartridge ($45) and all the screws and parts -- FREE. I'll stay with DELTA forever. :D

everyone has their own preferences, and dislikes. My dislike is delta because when I had a problem with one of their faucets, they said they couldn't help me as the faucet is made in some other country and lease the delta name. We installed a Moen pull out single lever faucet in the kitchen, after a long time the spray head began to discolor, I contacted Moen and they sent me a new head, even though their warantee says that all claims must be accompanied with a copy of the sales reciept, which I no longer had

I agree, I have had good luck with Delta, when I had a leak in my bathroom faucet, i brought the parts into one of the bigger retailers and they actually gave me a free replacement. I was very happy about that.... of course the smaller plumbing shops were charging $100 bucks for the same item that the Delta rep gave them for free, so i was abit disappointed with that. Lucky they gave me a refund, but very relunctantly.

Latest posts

Back