Any suggestions?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
I decided to put up a drywall ceiling in the utility room in my basement. My question concerns what to do where the ceiling meets the foundation block wall. I'm not going to frame over the wall, so I have a recess space at the top of the wall. The joists and rim joist are sitting on a 2x? laying flat. Should I run the drywall right up to the plate or should I fill the gap, which would seal off the small shelf at the top of the blocks? What's the usual recipe for this situation?

Attachments

• 0209201426a.jpg
    0209201426a.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 0209201427a.jpg
    0209201427a.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 12
I have absolutely no clue what to do in that situation & have nothing to really contribute in terms of advice, but I'm wishing you luck on this and looking forward to seeing the solution. All I can offer now is moral support.

Its just an unfinished basement. I would run the drywall an inch or so past the block and call it a day.

If you really want to go overboard, you could fill the gap with a 2x2 before putting up the drywall. Maybe even add some molding afterwords. If you do that, paint the molding before putting it up.

I wouldn’t close in the ends. If headroom weren’t super tight I would run furring strips all around and 16” OC. The space gives me room for the wires and such.

I did a basement area once and I used what they call garage pegboard it is painted white and needs no finish. Drywall screws fit flush in the holes and you don’t notice them and the ability to take them down to get at pipes and wires is nice along with the holes I felt gave some air circulation into the ceiling area.

Yes, I have been thinking that having a wire run there makes sense, especially since I have a handful of low voltage wires (doorbell, T-stat, speaker wire etc) already there. I was thinking about using something like an inverted baseboard molding that could be removable, but I think it might be overkill. probably just going to run the drywall back a bit.

Bud, did you mean that you used the pegboard as ceiling material or just as a fascia at the ends?

It sounds to me like he used the pegboard for the ceiling material. I could see that working. It would probably be easier to remove than drywall for accessing stuff.

The basement I did them in I used them as the ceiling material. The stairs were so tight I couldn’t get sheets down there and the garage pegboard has grooves spaced at 16” OC. I ripped the sheets down the groove so I had 16x96 strips and brought them down. Then I put them up staggering the end seams. It looked pretty nice I thought and I never did paint it. Held up great in the basement.

Back