Any window contractors? Need pro advice please!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
IMG_7632.JPG IMG_7633.JPG IMG_7634.JPG Hello all, so we been in the house for a few months now and my only gripe is that our living room (pics below) doesn't let in nearly enough natural light during the daylight hours. It gets sorta depressing in a way. The living room faces south which doesn't help the matter. So, I have two possible solutions.
Solution 1)
I was wondering if it's possible to maybe remove the two windows along side the fireplace and widen them for a retrofit. Outer siding is just vinyl with the chimney box outside. The current windows inside width measured apx 19.5" across and the distance between the edge of fireplace to the corner of the wall is 55". I'd like to see if it's possible to throw some 40" widows in there? If that is possible what would be a ballpark number that would cost me to have a licensed contractor do??
Solution 2)
install a large window in the kitchen eat-in area pictured below which faces east. Outer wall is just vinyl siding. What would be a ballpark number for that one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gable end or side walls?
As far as pricing your going to have to make some local calls and get some quotes.
If this is a single story skylights or even solar tubes may work out better for you.
Painting the walls a lighter color would also make the room look brighter.

IMG_7636.PNG
Gable end or side walls?
As far as pricing your going to have to make some local calls and get some quotes.
If this is a single story skylights or even solar tubes may work out better for you.
Painting the walls a lighter color would also make the room look brighter.
There's a lot of roof above both these windows so sky lights may not be an option. See pic

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is nothing but attic above, I'd put to vault the ceiling and go skylights. The ceiling height in and of itself makes it look cave like.
Alternatively, the solar tube idea is going to give you more light for your buck.

Also, you say that side of the house is south-facing - if you're living in the northern hemisphere, that would be the best direction for natural light all day... Though that tree right outside of your window is not doing you any favors as far as light goes...

I expect its going to be possible to widen the windows. You are going to need to get some local quotes, but that's going to be an expensive proposition. I agree with Joe that a lighter color on the walls will help. Also, you need better lighting. Keep away from pot-lights which just put a spotlight onto the floor --- you want to wash the ceiling in light --- rather like you have in the dining area. Maybe add a couple of semi-flush mount fixtures. Keep in mind also that big windows on a South wall are going to rough in the summer. I vaulted my ceiling and put skylights on my South roof slope - its nice. I put blinds on them though --- the blinds get opened in September and closed in May.

Thanks guys for all the input/help. Them solar things look nice. I think I'm leaning towards the vaulted ceiling but the idea of the skylight worries me that it would be pointing directly at the sitting area/couches and getting sun blasted in the face while watching tv seems less than ideal lol. May just slam some wider windows in there. I do however want to raise the ceiling which I guess is a separate issue to lessen its cave-like appeal.

I'll look into this thanks!! If anyone had to guess that ballpark number of reinstalling wider windows that I would probably get, I'm all ears. I'm located in Indiana 35 miles from Chicago if that matters. I'm thinking prob 4000 per window with labor and window included. That might be high though I have no idea

It will also depend upon the number of glazing in the frame, IE. single, dual or triple, "E" glass, shaded, Pella, Anderson or.......

Before we suggest vaulted ceiling is the question about, stick framed roof a trusses.
The side with a gable end is a lot less technical than where the rafters (trusses) land.
Neither job should take more than a couple days.
When you get window work done you are best to understand the newest procedure for the install and dictate your requirements.

The window itself should be about $400 each and then the labor to remove, reframe, install and finish. I would think more like $2000 for the whole job.

Back