Anyone have experience with cork flooring?

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by Kat2014, Jan 18, 2020.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Jan 18, 2020 #1

Kat2014

Kat2014

Kat2014

I need to replace the kitchen floor, and ideally with something soft to walk on, and of course, waterproof.
    I ordered samples from Lumber Liquidators, and the cork planks don't seem substantially different from the LVP ones.

Has anyone used these? Is it actually softer/easier on your feet than regular LVP?

2. Jan 19, 2020 #2

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

I have only had two clients who had cork flooring installed.
    Not by me, but I heard their complaints.

Both of those installations turned into months then years of problems and litigation.

The cork kept pulling up, was easily scratched and ripped loose, overall was totally unsatisfactory.

Maybe the industry has worked the bugs out since then, these problems were both about five years ago.

But it seemed like a foofoo type of yuppie fad that fizzled.

3. Jan 19, 2020 #3

Kat2014

Kat2014

Kat2014

I am talking about click together cork flooring planks - the samples appear to be exactly like the luxury vinyl planks. Pretty sure we are NOT talking about the same thing - there is no way in the world these would pull up or ripped loose. Sounds like you are talking about a flexible tile or sheet product.

4. Jan 19, 2020 #4

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Yes, it was a cork tile in both cases.

5. Jan 19, 2020 #5

Sparky617

Sparky617

Sparky617

I installed about 1500 square feet of it at our church in our original sanctuary when we remodeled into a coffee house/performance space. I installed it 12 1/2 years ago and it has held up well. We installed a click and lock style not cork tiles. It is soft underfoot and not loud/hollow sounding like laminates. Based on its condition today, I see no reason why we'd need to replace it for another 10 years. Sweeping and occasional damp mopping is all the care we've had to do to it. The room is used frequently and has suffered its share of spills and messes.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: