Appliance storage in a storage unit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulineVanhorn

Reaction score
Hi,
I had to sell my home in order to pay off my debt after losing my job last month. We now reside in a little rental flat. However, it's a small one. We therefore intend to store our appliances in a storage facility for the time being. What should be taken into consideration when keeping appliances in a storage unit?

Which appliances? First they should all be clean and dry before storing. Refrigerators and freezers need to be kept open to keep the interiors fresh. Put in a box of baking soda to absorb odors. A front loading clothes washer should have shipping bolts reinstalled to keep the drum from bouncing around in transit.

Depending on how long you plan on storing them:
purge as much water as you can (ice maker fridge, dishwasher).
maybe some RV freeze to keep the seals moist.
cost of storage versus selling them now and repurchasing when things improve.

If you are storing your big and valuable items in the self storage units, you should buy insurance plan to cover them. They will be safer and sounder if they’re stored in a warehouse with CCTV cameras. But if you are just storing your daily used items like clothes, utensils, and other non-valuable goods, then you don’t need to worry. It will be alright without any insurance policies.

Back