Appreciate Input on My Fireplace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1,000 bucs no way, but I have a project that that will work for. So I say keep it the way it is and send the grand to me:D:D. No really that would look great you are definitely on the right track. Price it out and see what your dealing with. I always plan a project three months out and than try to save for it, sometimes it more like 5 to 6 months out though. Looks good though have fun with it when you have the chance.

Yeah, okay, that sounds good... not! LOL!

That's my modus operandi--save for something rather than finance, although I did take out a small loan for the foundation repair. It was a weird loan because of the value of my house, and they would only pay one contractor. So I had them rewrite the bid for a couple thousand more so I could do the other stuff I needed, like gutters on one side (did the other side last year), some soffit repair, and the door. That leaves my meager budget for "fun" things. I could stash it and wait longer, but I'm already paying interest on it, so I need to find some other house-oriented thing.

I did manage to destroy the guest bath vanity when I changed the faucet...

BTW, thanks one and all for the replies and input. I knew I'd probably have some cracks when I had the foundation done, I just expected the fireplace to be tougher. @Sonyac, maybe I should have had you guys do it? ;)

there IS a steel lintel & the mortar crk's not surprising as mortar won't adhere to steel,,, add a home's guaranteed flex & VOILA ! have 1 in our fireplace & even above the garage door where there's a steel beam lintel,,, re the ( approx ) 1/4" sideways ' shift ' can't tell if that was laid that way OR there's been a shift,,, i'd bet on the former.

if you'd like to change the appearance, consider polymer-modified concrete w/fine aggregate ONLY - there's some amazing stuff bveing done,,, 3 good references - elitecrete's forums, decorative concrete forum, & concrete network.

we don't often ' do ' new work - we specialize in fixing other contractor's */*s instead - mucho mas dinero :D

Back