Architectural Shingles Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebutterfly

Reaction score
I'm currently getting estimates for a full re-roofing of my home in Las Vegas. It's about 1800 sq feet, and currently has 3 tab. It's an old roof, about 20 years or more old. I'm trying to get as low a bid as possible. The two guys who have bid so far have said it has to be architectural shingles because 3 tab aren't sold anymore. They said that even if I wanted 3 tab, they can't get it, as Lowes/Home Depot no longer carry it. Is this true? I'm trying to get the price down any way I can and if 3 tab cost less, I'd do that. They also have refused to do any spot repairs (they want a big job), The two bids I've gotten so far are 13K and 11K. If I can't get it under 10K, I will do spot repairs (not myself, will hire it done), but just wanted to find out if it's true that 3 tab are literally not sold anymore? Thanks for the info!

Three tab shingles are alive and well as far as I know and a google search still shows the places you mentioned selling them. As far as I know the lifespan is the same and the architectural shingles mainly are for a textured look. Many areas of the country will allow you to put a second layer of shingles over three tabs if they are fairly flat but not over architectural shingles. There could be a big savings doing a second layer. Roofing pros sometimes don’t want to do it as in doing it there is no way to see what is below.

I don’t know the prevailing cost in Las Vegas but the guys you are talking to would not make my cut list based on what they are telling you. The cost sounds high to me but we don’t know how many square your home is how many stories or how many facets your roof has. All that will factor in as will location.

As an example I live in northern Pa and have a roof on a two story 1850s house with 7 facets. I hired a Amish crew to do metal roof over a built out framework over an old 3 tab roof a couple years ago and it was $4k they had done my large garage the year before for $1K. It is not apples to apples as you move around the country though.

If your roof is bad spot fixes will buy you only a year or two IMO. When shingles start to go and where you live with the strong sun they go fast.

A quick look at Lowes.com shows 3 tab shingles have 25 year warranties, while architectural shingles have a "limited lifetime" warranty with no number of years listed.

Architectural shingles are heavier and withstand high winds better than three tabs. They also look better on OSB roofs that can dip between roof trusses when spaced at 22" OC, fairly common in tract built homes of the last 30 years. The price difference between a 3 tab and an architectural shingle is less than $10/hundred square feet. $2-5 per bundle. I'd go with architectural shingles every time.

3-tabs are still available but, roofers prefer to install architectural because they are easier to install as line mistakes are hardly noticeable. 3-tabs require some attention when installing.

Three tab shingles are alive and well as far as I know and a google search still shows the places you mentioned selling them. As far as I know the lifespan is the same and the architectural shingles mainly are for a textured look. Many areas of the country will allow you to put a second layer of shingles over three tabs if they are fairly flat but not over architectural shingles. There could be a big savings doing a second layer. Roofing pros sometimes don’t want to do it as in doing it there is no way to see what is below.

I don’t know the prevailing cost in Las Vegas but the guys you are talking to would not make my cut list based on what they are telling you. The cost sounds high to me but we don’t know how many square your home is how many stories or how many facets your roof has. All that will factor in as will location.

As an example I live in northern Pa and have a roof on a two story 1850s house with 7 facets. I hired a Amish crew to do metal roof over a built out framework over an old 3 tab roof a couple years ago and it was $4k they had done my large garage the year before for $1K. It is not apples to apples as you move around the country though.

If your roof is bad spot fixes will buy you only a year or two IMO. When shingles start to go and where you live with the strong sun they go fast.
Thanks for your response! I also just looked at both Lowes and Home Depot where I live here in Las Vegas and you are correct that both still carry 3 tabs, so right there it makes me doubt the roofer who said that I would not be able to get 3 tab anymore at these stores. If he's lying about that, what else is he lying about?

About the high quotes, I am trying to keep it under 10K but so far, both quotes have been above that. My house is a bit over 1800 sq feet, one story, nothing complicated about my roof. So, it should be a fairly easy standard job. Here in Vegas we do have a lot of high winds, so the main argument for having architectural is that it's heavier material. But I feel like if I, as the homeowner, want 3 tab and it's still available (which it definitely seems to be at both HD and Lowes), and it is a somewhat lower cost, I should be able to request it. But it seems like I am being forced by both of the roofers I talked to into architectural.

Also, if I decide to get a spot repair, I would want the replacement shingles to match the existing 3 tab. I realize that spot repairs won't buy me a lot of time, but if I can get that done for 2-3K, that's a lot better than 11K or 13K that I've been quoted. There's no way I could find a reputable roofer to do this job for 4K out here. I wish I could, but that ain't gonna happen.

If your roof is 20+ years old I wouldn't put $2K into "spot" repairs. Bite the bullet and do the job right at this point. A 20+ year old three tab shingle roof is near end of life, especially in your hot and very sunny climate. UV rays are really tough on roofing materials.

Get additional bids and really look into architectural shingles. They tend to run around $500 more than 3 tabs on roofs here.

Thanks for your response! I also just looked at both Lowes and Home Depot where I live here in Las Vegas and you are correct that both still carry 3 tabs, so right there it makes me doubt the roofer who said that I would not be able to get 3 tab anymore at these stores. If he's lying about that, what else is he lying about?

About the high quotes, I am trying to keep it under 10K but so far, both quotes have been above that. My house is a bit over 1800 sq feet, one story, nothing complicated about my roof. So, it should be a fairly easy standard job. Here in Vegas we do have a lot of high winds, so the main argument for having architectural is that it's heavier material. But I feel like if I, as the homeowner, want 3 tab and it's still available (which it definitely seems to be at both HD and Lowes), and it is a somewhat lower cost, I should be able to request it. But it seems like I am being forced by both of the roofers I talked to into architectural.

Also, if I decide to get a spot repair, I would want the replacement shingles to match the existing 3 tab. I realize that spot repairs won't buy me a lot of time, but if I can get that done for 2-3K, that's a lot better than 11K or 13K that I've been quoted. There's no way I could find a reputable roofer to do this job for 4K out here. I wish I could, but that ain't gonna happen.
Architectural shingles are heavier as they are layered with a cutout layer. IMO it is 99.9% about looks and with three tabs done properly they have a glue strip of tar across the back that is covered in a cellophane strip you rip off and the sun will set the tar and when done it is all stuck together. IMO just as solid as any other asphalt shingle in resisting wind.

Some homes that really showcase the roof and others you really can’t see the roof. Sometimes with a shallow pitch you look up at the roof at a slight angle and to me the architectural shingle look strange. I agree they hide more flaws in the roof.

Is the quotes you are getting for a tear off and new base layer and repair to any sheathing that is damaged or just a second layer.

I agree if someone is giving you a song and dance about products then they will about everything else. They need to be insured and bonded and willing to provide references. Ask around of your neighbors. I guarantee some old timer will tell you here is the guy you want.

A quick look at Lowes.com shows 3 tab shingles have 25 year warranties, while architectural shingles have a "limited lifetime" warranty with no number of years listed.

Architectural shingles are heavier and withstand high winds better than three tabs. They also look better on OSB roofs that can dip between roof trusses when spaced at 22" OC, fairly common in tract built homes of the last 30 years. The price difference between a 3 tab and an architectural shingle is less than $10/hundred square feet. $2-5 per bundle. I'd go with architectural shingles every time.
Thanks for your response. I think what bothers me about the roofer who told me that he could no longer get 3 tab shingles is that it is obviously not true. There may be some advantages to architectural shingles, but he said they were no longer available to him. That's clearly not true. And I feel that I, as the the consumer paying for this job, should have the choice of what to put on my roof if I decide to go with 3 tab (which is less expensive, and costs do add up). But I'm not being given that choice. If I were doing my own roof myself, I could directly order 3 tab shingles from Home Depot or Lowes. Yet with a roofer, I am forced to do the somewhat more expensive shingles. It's this type of thing that really bugs me about these types of huge projects.

If your roof is 20+ years old I wouldn't put $2K into "spot" repairs. Bite the bullet and do the job right at this point. A 20+ year old three tab shingle roof is near end of life, especially in your hot and very sunny climate. UV rays are really tough on roofing materials.

Get additional bids and really look into architectural shingles. They tend to run around $500 more than 3 tabs on roofs here.
Unfortunately 11K or 13K isn't in my budget at the moment for a full roof tear off and replacement. I could go maybe 7-8K, but that's not how the bids are coming in. A repair job might not be optimal but it is what it is. Main goal is to keep leaks from happening in areas where I know there are already leaks. Roofers who refuse to take on smaller jobs in favor of large tear offs and total re-roofing are the problem. I realize a repair might not last a long time, but I feel if done right, it could help me out quite a bit.

Architectural shingles are heavier as they are layered with a cutout layer. IMO it is 99.9% about looks and with three tabs done properly they have a glue strip of tar across the back that is covered in a cellophane strip you rip off and the sun will set the tar and when done it is all stuck together. IMO just as solid as any other asphalt shingle in resisting wind.

Some homes that really showcase the roof and others you really can’t see the roof. Sometimes with a shallow pitch you look up at the roof at a slight angle and to me the architectural shingle look strange. I agree they hide more flaws in the roof.

Is the quotes you are getting for a tear off and new base layer and repair to any sheathing that is damaged or just a second layer.

I agree if someone is giving you a song and dance about products then they will about everything else. They need to be insured and bonded and willing to provide references. Ask around of your neighbors. I guarantee some old timer will tell you here is the guy you want.
I agree with a lot of what you say. The quotes I am getting so far are for tear off and total new roof. When I started this project, I didn't realize the bids would be so high. Now that I see how they are coming in, repair is starting to be more in line with what I can do at this time. I also would be interested in doing another layer of shingles over the existing ones, but haven't asked about that yet. I'm sure they will scream and holler and totally refuse to do it. My dad, back in the 1990's, had two roofs re-done, and both times it was NOT a re-roof job but a layering over of an existing roof. I think the building codes wouldn't alllow three layers, but two were fine. I'm sure he saved a lot of money doing that, and in fact, that was quite a standard thing to do vs. tearing off the whole roof and re-doing it. True, you can't see what's underneath, but as long as it's no longer leaking, and the building is protected, that would seem to be the priority, not ripping off everything everytime the shingles are at the end of their life.

These guys want to do these total tear off jobs for the bigger bucks, and that's the main thing. They naturally won't say that, but everyone knows that is why. This lack of common sense and forcing homeowners to do UNnecessary things to pad someone else's wallet is what's wrong with the nation today. It's wasteful, and creates more pollution and other problems down the line.

Up until just starting this project, I had never heard the term "achitectural shingles", so either it's a new thing or it's become the thing to do these days. And frankly, unless a roof is done with some very expensive or noticeable stuff, I have never noticed what the shingles looked like. All this talk about "dimensionality" with architectural shingles...no one really notices that stuff most of the time. They are looking at the house itself, not the roof coloring or shading, unless it's very noticeable. If roofers can't shingle in a straight line with 3 tab, that's not my problem, that's their issue with their crews lack of ability.

Also, as far as wind goes, yes, Vegas has high winds at times, but the homes in Southern California that my dad had re-done were also in high wind areas, and those were ordinary flat shingles like the usual that were used for decades out there, and they lasted many many years. As you describe, they get stuck down very good. He never experienced shingles blowing off from using regular flat shingles. So, I think it's a bunch of hype to justify the higher costs. People say the higher cost is hardly noticeable, but it's my money, and if anything is higher, without serious justification, I don't want to pay it unnecessarily. This is precisely how and why people end up overpaying for things as homeowners, and all this stuff adds up in the end.

Vegas is a difficult place to find reputable roofers. The guys I have gotten estimates from get good reviews on Yelp, but who knows if it's the truth.

Thanks, I confirmed for myself that 3 tab shingles are still sold at Home Dept, Lowes, etc. It was rather silly for the roofer to tell me that he could absolutely not get 3 tab shingles anymore from these stores!

I wouldn't touch doing a repair on a 20 year old roof. Too many opportunities to create more problems as you're fixing the others. 20 year old shingles are just too brittle to do any repairs on or around them.

Another thing to consider, from a venders perspective, is, when a repair is accomplished, W/O a WARRANTY, and so specified, what's to prevent the recipient of the repairs, alleging and harassing the vendor for eventual leaks, which may or may not be related to the repairs.

Does the vendor inspect, as a courtesy, to advise and clarify?

WHERE did you find your roofers? Most of the home centers have checked out roofers that work with them.
Obviously, you need way more than two crooked estimates... to me, one lie, and they're gone!
Angie's List may be helpful in finding reasonably priced roofers...

Last edited by a moderator:
WHERE did you find your roofers? Most of the home centers have checked out roofers that work with them.
Obviously, you need way more than two crooked estimates... to me, one lie, and they're gone!
Beware of Democrat junkies that will give you a lowish estimate, want payment in advance, and then you will never see them again! A lot of that going around these days!
I have mainly used Yelp reviews to find roofers. I would never give anyone payment in advance. However, both of the roofers I got bids from want a deposit - one of them wants a 50% deposit. Apparently this is fairly standard, esp. when dealing with large jobs like this. I will look at Angie's list, although I feel that most of these lists are somewhat the same. I also realize that Yelp reviews can be faked/manipulated to give good ratings. Thanks for the suggestion of asking home centers. I am talking to a third roofer today, and will continue to get as many estimates as I can before picking one.

Beware of Democrat junkies that will give you a lowish estimate, want payment in advance, and then you will never see them again! A lot of that going around these days!
I’m pretty sure there are good and bad roofers in each political party and there is no need to add politics into every conversation on the forum. I will remove your comment with edit as this forum is not the place for it.

I have mainly used Yelp reviews to find roofers. I would never give anyone payment in advance. However, both of the roofers I got bids from want a deposit - one of them wants a 50% deposit. Apparently this is fairly standard, esp. when dealing with large jobs like this. I will look at Angie's list, although I feel that most of these lists are somewhat the same. I also realize that Yelp reviews can be faked/manipulated to give good ratings. Thanks for the suggestion of asking home centers. I am talking to a third roofer today, and will continue to get as many estimates as I can before picking one.

There may be a statute, in your state, which governs the amount that a contractor can demand as a down payment. It may also allow for exceptions depending upon the number of payments, as a determinate.

In my practice, I didn't demand any down payments, I would, on the larger projects, stipulate that the owner paid the roofing CO.,upon delivery, before they loaded the roof.

The cellophane doesn't need removed. Check with the manufacturers and you'll find it doesn't need removed.

Before they had added the cellophane strips, and as warm days progressed, the shingles would adhere together, and slow progress, or bundles were set aside, and used early the next day.

Back