Are there inline/extractors to help portable A/C unit push exhaust out further than allotted hose length?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drumz

Reaction score
I have an attic room we remodeled recently. I live in PNW and we do not have central A/C so I have a couple portable units that I vent outside through the wall directly because I have casement windows and the A/C vent adaptors don't work in those windows. The problem in the attic room is I put the vent outtake in the middle of the room which I discovered after the fact that it is too long for the A/C unit to expel and it simply acts like a big fan so, the unit needs help getting the hot exhaust air out.
So I was wondering if there are in line fans/extractors that I could put in the 6" (might be 4", I forget) round ducting that would assist the unit to operate correctly. I would think there's something out there but not sure what it would be called and whether I can wire it to start when the unit comes on without making a combination switch to turn both on at the same time.
TIA for your time and expertise!

I saw this on Amazon I think it comes in 4 and 6 inch. Screenshot 2021-06-29 5.13.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Don't you also need a condensate line as well?

I think most, if not all, portables use the condensate to cool the coils then pass it out as vapor via the 110° exhaust.

Last edited:
I have an attic room we remodeled recently. I live in PNW and we do not have central A/C so I have a couple portable units that I vent outside through the wall directly because I have casement windows and the A/C vent adaptors don't work in those windows. The problem in the attic room is I put the vent outtake in the middle of the room which I discovered after the fact that it is too long for the A/C unit to expel and it simply acts like a big fan so, the unit needs help getting the hot exhaust air out.
I thought it rained every day and humid in PNW? Was like that when we visited my cousins in Portland.
The A/C vent adapters should work in casement windows simply by turning them vertically... they may have to be lengthened if it's a big window.
The portable A/C unit should be able to push the hot exhaust outside simply by adding more tubing of the same diameter. Such as clothes dryer vent tubing. You may want to add insulation to all the tubing so that it's not radiating heat back into the house.
That A/C unit may not even be working correctly. The compressor in it has to be running... and the fans have to be running...

BTW, thin blue line police flags are NOT "racist" !!! You've been lied to...
That's true but like the Confederate battle flag it's use has been picked up by racists thus altering the perception. Likewise the BLM movement has been picked up by radicals so its perception has changed. We live in weird and divisive times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back