Are these duct dampers open or closed? (levers aren't parallel/perpendicular)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prometheusdt

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/a/snDUsSn

I'm a first time home owner, and I'm trying to figure out how these dampers work. The above link are the pictures to my two ducts (2nd floor and main floor/basement). I know that when the lever is parallel to the airflow, the duct is supposed to be open, and when it's perpendicular, it's closed. My question is how this applies to an elbow duct where both lever positions are simultaneously parallel and perpendicular to airflow. Is A open or B open? I can picture the inside of the duct when it's straight, but I don't know how the damper is installed on an elbow like this.

As for the two bottom pictures (straight duct), neither position A nor B are parallel nor perpendicular. Position A is pointing at a 7:30 position, and B is pointing at 9:30. Is it supposed to be like this? Which one is open and which one is closed?

My final question is why am I not feeling the effect when I open or close these ducts? I've tried multiple configurations and when I put my hand next to the vents either at the main floor or 2nd floor, I can't tell the difference in air pressure. Is there a device that I can buy to test the air that's being pushed out of the vents?

Thank you in advance!

Normally the handle lines up with the damper, just think of the handle on the same "plane" as the piece inside.

So in the first two pictures, which one is open and which one is closed? The damper is right in the middle of the elbow, so if the damper is on the same plane as the lever, it will still allow air to flow through regardless of position.

As for the last two pictures, which one is open and which one is closed? I assume the last picture is open and the 2nd to last is closed, but the 2nd to last picture isn't even perpendicular to the air flow. It's at a 45 degree angle.

In the last 2 pictures they are labled... the handle either points to, or covers the lables. It's a piece of sheet metal inside that lines up with the handle and "flat" on bolt. It's a "dampener", it doesn't stop all the air, just slows it down.thH6K938UG.jpg

Back