Are these foundation cracks ok?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozon

Reaction score
d362b0559f.jpg

67ff2412a2.jpg

Last edited:

Just found this sorry it took so long. and welcome to the site.
If the cracks are new in an older house, yes you get excited.
Usually these cracks occur in the first year or two becuse the dirt below was not good enough to carry the weight of the building. Then it is a waterproof and level problem.
Unless there is a real problem that needs to be fixed, usually all that is done is fill the crack to make it look good and waterproof and re-level the house without really fixing the foundation.

The nature of the stemwall crack, being much wider at the top than the bottom, would indicate that the wall to the left of the crack is rotating downward. Further investigation should be done to determine why it's happening, and then proceed with a structural repair if warranted.

While cosmetic repairs may make the owner feel good, they usually do little to enhance the integrity of the structure.

Out of curiosity, what would one use to fill cracks like these to waterproof them and make it look good?

Thanks!

Vince

Thanks Neal! I am dealing with similar cracks in the foundation of my mother's house as we put it up for sale. The crack's are small, about 1/16th of an inch at most, and I wasn't sure what to use.

vince

' Unless there is a real problem that needs to be fixed, usually all that is done is fill the crack to make it look good and waterproof and re-level the house without really fixing the foundation. ',,, still trying to understand how 1 re-levels a house w/o fixing the foundation - bdge, help me out here !

these problems always depend on how much,,, eg, proper repair cost melded w/expected structure useful life & length of ownership,,, IF proper repairs cost $ 5,000 - $ 35000 but the owner's selling it, he's not about to pay that,,, IF new owner's just moved in, found cracks, AND anticipates living there til he dies, he may

forgot to ask - is this conc OR block ?

Last edited:
Back