Are water heater thermostats interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by Givemeasec, Apr 20, 2019.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Apr 20, 2019 #1

Givemeasec

Givemeasec

Givemeasec

Need to replace the upper and lower thermostats on my water heater. Does it matter which brand I buy? What kind of compatibility issues might there be?

2. Apr 20, 2019 #2

billshack

billshack

billshack

they are not inter change able . they must be in hard contact to take the temp of the tank, also the right size for the amps . are you sure the t;sat the problem , how did you rule out blown fuse, and or element.

3. Apr 23, 2019 #3

Givemeasec

Givemeasec

Givemeasec

The water heater was still running, but the water was coming out scalding hot and the temperature limit switch kept tripping. I assume that meant the issue wasn't a blown fuse (I don't know much about this stuff so maybe that's not true?). Based on internet research, I first checked for both heating elements to see if either or both had shorted, but everything read normal on the multimeter. Some sites recommended checking the pressure relieve valve. I haven't yet, but probably should. Yesterday I bought a universal thermostat set and replaced both the upper and lower thermostats. As of this morning, everything was okay. As soon as I get home I'm gonna check the water again.