Armoured extension cord

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I am looking for an extension cord that I can put across my driveway to give power to an RV. Problem is, we have to be able to drive over it without concern. Burying it won't work.

There are plastic "drive over cord protectors" that contain the cord but they are pricey. For your drive maybe make your own with two boards spaced so the cord just fits the gap and the tires just roll over the gap. Nail cross pieces on top to maintain space and keep close check that cord doesn't shift and get pinched. If you have much (or long term) traffic you may want to pay the price for the real thing.

Last edited:
Another option is to figure out if there's a way to route power around the driveway rather than across it. If you can share a photo or diagram of how things are laid out (where is the power source? Where is the driveway? Where is the RV?), then we creative geniuses here can lend our titan powers of ingenuity to the problem at hand.

I like @Eddie_T idea.

I would buy a 12’ of 5/4 PT decking and run a router down the middle cutting a slot just the width and depth of the cord. If the cord is real fat a 2x6 or 2x8 PT. You could also put a bevel cut on the sides to ramp over it.

Another option is to figure out if there's a way to route power around the driveway rather than across it. If you can share a photo or diagram of how things are laid out (where is the power source? Where is the driveway? Where is the RV?), then we creative geniuses here can lend our titan powers of ingenuity to the problem at hand.

There is a junction box for a shed on the same side of the driveway as where I need the power. Sounds like time to talk to an electrician and wire something up there.

How many amp service does your camper require? Trying to run an a/c on less than 30 amp could cause damage to the a/c.

Also, what about parking the RV on the other side of the driveway? I heard a rumor once that RVs have wheels and can be moved about.

Now is when Paul Harvey says "And now you know the rest of the story. Good day!" :coffee:

Bud I used to listen to him just to hear his voice reporting the news - I didn't care what the news was it was just his unique way of speaking I enjoyed listening to. Hummm - what does that say about me and my age?

Bud I used to listen to him just to hear his voice reporting the news - I didn't care what the news was it was just his unique way of speaking I enjoyed listening to. Hummm - what does that say about me and my age?

Paul would likely be canceled in today's world. I think it is a getting old thing I often think back to some pretty simple things that I really enjoyed and in today's world would go unnoticed.

I like to think we grew up and lived in the perfect years. Maybe all generations feel like that I don't know.

How many amp service does your camper require? Trying to run an a/c on less than 30 amp could cause damage to the a/c.

30 amp, but I would only be using it to keep the battery charged or to run lights. The AC would be left off.

Also, what about parking the RV on the other side of the driveway? I heard a rumor once that RVs have wheels and can be moved about.

Well, if I park it on the other side, I am blocking the driveway.

Swimmer-spe
Have you considered or looked into maybe an overhead lateral from point to point? You would just have to go by NEC code for height above a driveway, especially if an RV will be in and out from under the overhead run.

I don't know if you are in an area that gets a lot of snow. If you lay anything across your driveway then you have to worry about a plow pulling it up.

An overhead lateral may just be the answer. It will cost you more than an extension cord but it will serve the purpose and be a lot safer in the long run.

You would have a mast going from your house across the driveway overhead to a pole on the other side. On the pole you can put whatever device/s you want to connect your RV to etc. No digging up the driveway and no worries about something that is laying across the driveway being destroyed/frayed etc.

Well, if I park it on the other side, I am blocking the driveway.
I thought you were parking next to the driveway, not on it but to the side. Maybe I misunderstood. I was suggesting parking next to the driveway again but on the other side.

A photo or even hastily drawn diagram, showing the layout of the driveway, surrounding area, location of RV, power source, etc. plus any relevant obstacles, would go a long way to providing clarity.

Swimmer-spe
Have you considered or looked into maybe an overhead lateral from point to point? You would just have to go by NEC code for height above a driveway, especially if an RV will be in and out from under the overhead run.

I don't know if you are in an area that gets a lot of snow. If you lay anything across your driveway then you have to worry about a plow pulling it up.

An overhead lateral may just be the answer. It will cost you more than an extension cord but it will serve the purpose and be a lot safer in the long run.

You would have a mast going from your house across the driveway overhead to a pole on the other side. On the pole you can put whatever device/s you want to connect your RV to etc. No digging up the driveway and no worries about something that is laying across the driveway being destroyed/frayed etc.

It would be gone in winter.

I thought you were parking next to the driveway, not on it but to the side. Maybe I misunderstood. I was suggesting parking next to the driveway again but on the other side.

A photo or even hastily drawn diagram, showing the layout of the driveway, surrounding area, location of RV, power source, etc. plus any relevant obstacles, would go a long way to providing clarity.

I don't have the space too park on the same side as the power is on.

Back