assume these wires are safe?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekm

Reaction score
After finishing demo work, I had three sets of these in the wall.
i6jczn.jpg

2luhjl.jpg

I assume these are old wires from when the previous owner had it rewired. Is that safe or do I need to call an electrician ro check them out?

Thanks,
Derek

Personally I am always very careful with electricity. Are any of the individual wires touching each other?

Not that I can tell.

The ones that are not cut square at the end, have a lot of mess so that I can't really tell.

Separate and cap each individual wire if there is any possibility of power still being on any one of them. Better to be safe than sorry and a dozen or so wire nuts is much cheaper than having an electrician come in and do the same thing :)

Yeah I would agree with square eye that this is the best route. You never want to take any chances where electricity is concerned, but this is something that can safely be done by most people and you will save money.

Whenever I work on anything electric I always cut the power, even if I am not doing something that is risky, because believe me current is not meant to go through the body. ;)

got zapped by a welding machine at 16. pretty much don't do anything with it other than flip switches since then. :)

for a proper terminatin, install a 2"x4" J-box on the stud, run the wires in as if you were going to install an outlet, separate the wires, cap them off w/wire nuts and install a blank cover plate on the j-box.

You could go into attic and see where other end is. That wire is worth over a buck a pound, might be worth removing the rest of the way. Or you could just tape the ends with electric tape, and pluck the staple from wire, then push it back through hole with screw driver. Whatever you choose to do, please test this wires before you do it, or just turn off power at main breaker. Good luck....

Latest posts

Back