Attach outlet extender

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meanwhile, please consider making that whole setup more safe.
I will be less grouchy if you stay alive, to keep me on my toes.

You’re right, it was too grouchy.

Grouchy? Yes but seems justified under the circumstances (push back against good advice instead of questions to better understand the reasons for the advice). Belittling? I don't read it that way. Your comment about peak amps is critical - particularly if that black cord leads to a receptacle inside the apartment (?) that is on a circuit with other loads - as seems likely.

Either the black cord is improperly feeding the outlet, and taking power from somewhere else, like a coach light fixture typically found on a balcony.

Or it is taking power out of the outlet through an improper route, probably to keep both sockets available.

I have seen that done like to run a transformer for low voltage lighting mounted nearby.

Taking power from a weatherized junction box mounted behind a coach light fixture and running it through a grounded surface raceway to another exterior outlet is pretty common.
Rain tight exterior box with gfci and code keeper cover.

"Is this your home or an apartment?
If apartment get a decent 12 gage extension cord. If it's your home, I have other ideas"

Should read as - if this is an apartment (rental) you should not be touching any electrical at all.
There are serious liability issues involved.

Back