Attach outlet extender

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixit7

Reaction score
Is there a way to attach this outlet extender so it does not come out when removing cords?

Or is there one I can get that will attach?

outlet.jpg

Thanks.

Commonly referred to as, a fireman's friend.

Of course, make sure you do not overload the circuit. If you do, the chance of fire could result.

What do you plan on plugging into that extender? Just curious about the potential amperage draw.

Table saw and sander.

13 + 1.8 amps

Sometimes a sabre saw at 5 amps.

I would just pull that 2x4 box and replace it with a 4x4 and wire in two double outlets giving you 4 proper outlets.

It looks like it is mounted to the wall so it would be an easy thing to do.

I would just pull that 2x4 box and replace it with a 4x4 and wire in two double outlets giving you 4 proper outlets.

It looks like it is mounted to the wall so it would be an easy thing to do.
And if the panel is nearby I'd have run 20 amp circuits for a shop. Though in his case I doubt he's running the table saw and sander at the same time.

It's on my balcony.

Most of my work is done indoors.

Fixit7
Since this receptacle is outside you can not use that plastic box.
You must use a weather resistant box like in one of the links that someone gave you.
Also, you have not confirmed if this circuit is GFCI protected - which it must be.
Also, the GFCI must be weather rated
You must use an in-use cover, not the one that you said you would use.

Bud16415 post #8 gave you a very good solution. Install a larger 2 gang weather resistant box with in use cover so you can have 2 duplex receptacles instead of one and using that plug in thing which is junk especially when using power tools like you plan to use outdoors.

Box is in a well covered area on the 2nd floor.

It is only occasionally used.

I feel it is safe for it's intended use.

In your first post what is that black cord in the picture? Is that feeding power to the box/receptacle? The cord looks as though it is going into the top of the plastic box.

"Box is in a well covered area on the 2nd floor. "
If the area gets damp that is still a danger.

"It is only occasionally used. "
It takes only one time to be electrocuted - hence the need for safety of a GFCI ($20 is not that much money for safety)

"I feel it is safe for it's intended use. "
Chance of electrocution is still very high with this present setup.

If you're going to challenge the solid advice we've given you, don't bother asking for advice. Your outlet is terrible, no good, horrible, and setting you up for a very bad day.

It looks like you have it plugged into another outlet with the cord set up you have going into the box. Like this thing is definitely a temporary job by a wire butcher. A wood butchers cousin.

That whole setup is a stinking ********.

Better increase your life insurance with the money you saved installing it like that.

And a 13 amp saw can draw well over 20 amps during startup.

That whole setup is a stinking ********.

Better increase your life insurance with the money you saved installing it like that.

And a 13 amp saw can draw well over 20 amps during startup.
Do I have to call you out about personally belittling people within the forum again? You can tell them if something is wrong, but you're not Tr#mp, so don't get personal. Sorry

Back