Attaching drywall to plastered ceiling

Discussion in 'Walls and Ceilings' started by Texas, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Jan 3, 2010 #1

Texas

Texas

Texas

Is there an established method to affix drywall to a previously plastered ceiling?

2. Jan 4, 2010 #2

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Are we talking about an old fashioned lathe & plaster ceiling? Is it textured? What kind of shape is it in?

3. Jan 4, 2010 #3

Texas

Texas

Texas

The plaster is on a steel mesh, no lathe. The mesh is attached to the joists, probably with some sort of u-nail. It is about 1" thick.

In some areas you can see where repairs were done,...or a wall had been moved. I can imagine immense labor trying to replaster these areas and resanding, feathering to make the irregularities less obvious....and was wondering about just putting drywall up.
    It is all a small size popcorn.

4. Jan 5, 2010 #4

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

First, if you take the easiest route and repair the existing ceiling, the popcorn should cover any imperfections. That's probably why it's there in the first place. I don't have experience with popcorn ceilings, so that's for someone else to answer.

you could probably put up drywall over the existing, if you want; using long screws (2"?) and make sure you hit the joists - covers the popcorn fwiw -

Taking down existing and starting fresh with drywall will be messy but will produce the best result in my opinion.

Before anything, check to see if moisture was the culprit for previous repairs and take care of that.

5. Jan 6, 2010 #5

BobAristide

BobAristide

BobAristide

Faux stone panels

6. Jan 6, 2010 #6

Texas

Texas

Texas

I guess I will try to smooth it other ways first or change the lighting. I wonder if I can put the drywall right overtop the popcorn, or will it depress too much where the screws are?
    Who tests for asbestos? Anywhere in the US is fine.