Attaching hardiebacker board onto laths

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggyjoe21

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of renovating my bathroom and have a few questions about the walls. The house is pre WW2 and the walls are all lath and plaster. Do I need to take out the laths before attaching the HBB to the stud? Can I keep the laths as is? My friend who is a contractor suggested I take out all the laths, however, if I do this there will be a gap between the bathtub and the shower wall tile. Is there a way to cover this gap? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Serge

Welcome to the site. I yopu had already removed the lath, your freind the contractor would have suggested to add spacing to the studs to bring the wall to the same thickness when done,
If the lath helps bring the thickness to the right place leave it there.

Welcome to the site. I yopu had already removed the lath, your freind the contractor would have suggested to add spacing to the studs to bring the wall to the same thickness when done,
If the lath helps bring the thickness to the right place leave it there.

Another concern of my if I leave the laths is potentially hitting a hardiebacker screw on the lath nail. The laths are spaced pretty close to each other and each nail is spaced every 6 or so inches. How do I avoid hitting the lath nails when I attach the hardie backer board?

Back