Attic Baffles in a 1.75 home layout.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corganer

Reaction score
Hello. Looking for help with what to do with installing baffles. See picture. Vents are only on the front and back of the house and I will put baffles on them (blowing insulation in this year). However, I need help with what to do with the area where I have a circle. It is another area where I assume I would want air to continue traveling up to top of roof. Splitting up that circled area is the top of the stairwell (top of drywall going over stairwell, so that is a large amount of air that can get from lower attic space to upper attic space. Or maybe since air doesn't move horizontally without help, this large opening isn't enough?
Ok, looking up into the circle area, I see there are parts of batts stuffed in there. It is not completely blocking air but wondering what to do here. Maybe those batts aren't for blocking air there but something with the top of the ceiling and walls for floor 2?
- Do i keep those batts in, add baffles to everything
-Remove batts, add baffles (worried those batts are for something else, but maybe not)
-Leave everything as-is and blow in the insulation in that area too (the stairwell air space is enough, no baffles)
-Baffle a few extra, but not all, since stairwell air gap in there.

any ideas? Thank you in advance for any help.
PXL_20230211_203246196.jpg

I would install a baffle at the roof in the area circled. Without it, the air coming in your soffit vents has no where to go.

I would install a baffle at the roof in the area circled. Without it, the air coming in your soffit vents has no where to go.
Ok thank you. It does have the large opening above the staircase in the attic areas (going from lower attic to upper attic) but maybe you are saying ...still use the baffles.

I can't tell from your picture, if you're blocking the path with insulation install baffles. If it is open from soffit to ridge you're ok.

I can't tell from your picture, if you're blocking the path with insulation install baffles. If it is open from soffit to ridge you're ok.
I tried to explain that a bit but I probably don't know my terms. It has some batts in the circle are where the second floor ceiling meets second floor wall at that corner, but kind of a poor job. It isn't blocking the vents completely, so it had me wondering what previous owner was doing. Now I don't know if I should remove those batts (that aren't completely blocking air ...but then is also allowing some air to make it to the ridge).

Back