Attic ceiling drywall installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

python01

Reaction score
I had third floor addition framed. The roof at the back of the house is cottage style. The way they framed the cathedral ceiling is that the corner rafters is sticking out more than the others. I am attaching pictures to show what I mean.
I wonder what should I do to properly hang the drywall so it is installed properly. Hopefully I don't have to beef up the rafters that are on the ceiling to make them equal with the corner rafters.

Could not access your photos.
Usually you do frame the rafters down to match the hips but you could drywall up to them and dress them but the bigger problem is insulation and venting above that. This is always a problem in a hip roof because there is no clear path for the air to get to the peak.

Correct. Please introduce the OP to this sites photo publishing service.

So to do this with out future problems, You want 6" of insulation min. and about 1 1/2" space above that so air can move from the soffet to the peak and out. The best way to do that is to remove the shingles over the ridge of the hip, cut back the plywood a little and replace the shingle with ridge venting and add a 2x3 or 2x4 to the bottom of the rafters to give you the required space.

I know you didn't really want all that but it is what it is.:(

And the downside for us, when the OP tells the whole story, is................

Assume, makes an *** out of U and ME.

Back to the original question: assuming (yes, there's that word again) that you were going to just close it up, I might smooth and stain the corner boards and leave them exposed. Depending on the decor you're going for, it could look nice.

The photo's in msg. #4 indicate that there may already be an EPS insulboard under the roofing and if this is true the batt insulation can be forgone and just the standard 2x8 hip need to be addressed.

There is no insulation right now but it is going to be sprayed foam which I need just enough to fill the space between rafters so I was told by the architect who designed the addition that with spray foam I will not need to ventilate that space so I was planning to use solid soffit.
Am I completely wrong?

Thanks.

I'd be more inclined to vent the soffit, because of your geographical location.

You have any number of methods available in addressing, not just the hip rafters, but architecturally the whole ceiling, from coped, boxed and indirect lighting.

Plan ahead.

There is no insulation right now but it is going to be sprayed foam which I need just enough to fill the space between rafters so I was told by the architect who designed the addition that with spray foam I will not need to ventilate that space so I was planning to use solid soffit.
Am I completely wrong?

What is the roofing above, I think some perform better than others.

The boards visible in the picture is the roof, there are only shingles above it.

Walter.

Latest posts

Back