Attic hatch insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
My insulation in my attic is great, over 40" of fiberglass batting. The access hatch.... not so much.

Ir is just a board. How thick foam board would be needed to ensure my attic hatch is insulated?

All I have ever seen the insulators do is lay a couple or few layers of batt on top and a strip of poly each way over that is stapled to the edges of the plywood, just tight enough to hold it in place. But you also want weather stripping and some kind of latching to hold it tight closed so you don't have air leaks into the attic.

There are 2 methods I've used; EPS has an R value of 4 per inch, so I've assembled 10" of EPS attached to the attic access cover.

The other is to attach some unfaced R-30 & R-19 to the access cover.

Using the unfaced batts allows you to adjust the cuts and placement to afford a blending with the adjacent insulation.

If you access your attic frequently there will be some inherent wear-n-tear to the edges of anything you use, so keep that in mind.

I see Home Depot also carries attic zippered insulation, which attaches around the inside of the attic access.

Back