Attic Insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevbo

Reaction score
We moved into our house a few years, and when we did the inspector told us we should get insulation in our attic. We had a company come out and blow insulation in, and I didn't think anything of it. Fast forward 3 years, we need a new AC unit, and the air handler is in our attic. I've had a couple companies come out for quotes, and the response has been that the air handler is basically buried, and there is no way to tell where any of the joists are. Would there be a good way to put in some decking at this point? Once this is replaced, I'd like to be able to have it serviced, w/o being concerned someone is going to come through the ceiling.

Thanks

In some areas a platform for service is required.

How high is the insulation above the joists, and can you post a few pictures of the attic?

Is it an attic or just a crawl space? Trusses or framed? How big is the access area?

It will be a compromise between building a catwalk and service platform cost and paying extra to have the insulation moved to the side and replaced every time you need to get to it.

Is this going to be a DIY project? Sometimes these become building a ship in a bottle.

Sorry for the delay. I've attached some pictures. I'd ideally like to just do this myself, but all I really want to do is do a catwalk and service area. No need for the whole thing. R-38 insulation was added over R-11.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.jpg
    IMG_2881.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2882 (2).jpg
    IMG_2882 (2).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2883 (1).jpg
    IMG_2883 (1).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2884 (1).jpg
    IMG_2884 (1).jpg