Attic ventilation in a tight spot

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugar Ray

Reaction score
I recently bought a home (slab ranch) in which a vaulted ceiling was added to the master bedroom some time in the past, maybe as long as 12 years ago.

When the new ceiling was added the builder left only enough space (6-inches or so) between the existing roof joists and the new ceiling for the insulation, which takes up all the space. Therefore there is little to no space for air flow. I am looking for suggestions to increase the ventilation in this area. During the early fall mornings when the rook is damp this area tends to stay wet much longer.

My current thought is that I may be able to slide a length of perforated PVC pipe (1 - 1-1/2 inch diameter) between the roof sheeting and the existing insulation. This would extend from the soffit vent to the open area in the attic.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ray

You could try anything you want, it may work, or have really bad results. My opinion,
You need a picture for us to give you better guesses, or what you really need is a professional.
Sometimes ventilation could cause more issues. Try a guy named Jeff May (google him)in your area. His company does house diagnostics and solutions.
You may need to go with different types of insulation, or even a separate roof over your existing roof.

There are no easy answers, all homes are different.
Tell us how you make out.

Welcome Ray:
My experience shows that a space can either be ventilated or filled with insulation; I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Glenn

There must be air flow over the underside of the sheathing under the shingles.
What he was suppost to do was build this with 2 X 8 rafters and only use R-19 insulation.
If there is no air flow from the soffits to a ridge vent the shingles get over heated, transfure heat into the room, and will burn out 10 years faster. Mold can also form on the under side of the sheathing.
The correct way to fix this would be to remove the sheetrock on the ceiling. Add 2 X 2 strips of wood to the rafters, install foam baffles then the insulation.
Sticking a pipe in there will do nothing to coll and dry out the under side of the sheathing.
Trust me on this one. We do nothing but remodel and repair older homes, everyone we have seen done the way yours is the 30 year warrenty shingles have failed and the paper on the insulation just crumbles.

Back