Awful Stone Patio

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GirlieBird

Reaction score
I have a very large, quite a massive, patio and pool deck made of old stones set into mortar. It’s ugly, but what’s worse is, the surface is so uneven and hard on the feet, that my family and I are constantly tripping and falling. It’s a hazard.

There are no cracks or breaking points on the surface Or between stones. It was probably laid from an old rock wall, as a do it yourself project back in the 1950s. It’s massive and solid. I’ve gotten several bids to jackhammer it out, but they are all in excess of $20k! It’s that massive and solid.

So I’m wondering, what are my options to resurface it? Would it be possible to build forms and pour a concrete and rebar 3” slab on top? That way the new surface would be smooth. Or could I lay a mortarbed and tile it? Or is this asking for trouble?

Must I spend the money and jackhammer it out, to replace it with a better surface?

Attachments

• 4C597351-A3AD-46A5-AD7F-A59FE0E75947.png
    4C597351-A3AD-46A5-AD7F-A59FE0E75947.png
    604.2 KB · Views: 14
Welcome.

What is critical is that drainage must be away from the pool.

Tile is an option, especially for your climate, and you might investigate decking Co's, because some of their products within their scope that are for resurfacing, such as LIFE DECK, as a for instance.

Latest posts

Back