back to T-111

Help Support House Repair Talk:

ttinman23

Reaction score
Since the T-111 I have is already primed with gray paint, I think I would have to use an exterior paint??? Would staining it be worthless since the primer is on it already? Can you stain over primer? I want to least amount of maintenance for the future

DFBonnett

Retired decorating contractor
Reaction score
Since the T-111 I have is already primed with gray paint, I think I would have to use an exterior paint??? Would staining it be worthless since the primer is on it already? Can you stain over primer? I want to least amount of maintenance for the future
Use solid stain, not paint. Since it has been primed, you can use a latex solid, which is easier to apply than oil based. Staining with anything other than a solid over the primer will look really bad. No stain, except a solid exterior is applicable in this instance.

ttinman23

Reaction score
you think it would be wiser to use the solid exterior stain than to use paint over this primed grey color it already has? I would like the best protectant and less maitenance

slownsteady

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I've never really seen the point of solid stain. If you're covering the grain (or texture) then why not just call it paint?

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
You stain wood to allow it to breath while still being protected, but once it is primed it is sealed so no advantage for stain.

DFBonnett

Retired decorating contractor
Reaction score
Solid stain looks better than paint on T-111. No question about it.

Latest posts