Bad Install??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbaggs

Reaction score
I am having engineered hardwood installed in my upstairs a couple of areas at a time. The first installer provided by the company did very nice work and I was very pleased. Today they sent a different contractor to do the second part, two more rooms, and my wife and I are very disappointed. On the 2nd portion of the install there is crackling virtually everywhere you step and on the first portion, by the good contractor, there is almost no cracking at all. They did use different uderlayments. On the second portion there are also multiple end pieces of wood that they filled in with one inch or less fragments to hide a sizable gap. My shoe molding will not cover some of these gaps even after the put in these fill pieces. I am using the narrower shoe, maybe 7/16ths, but if I went with 1/2 inch I could barely cover the gap. These end pieces are also not securely in place as I can flick them loose with my finger. I also noted that they only stapled every 8 to 12 inches, whereas the manufacturer reccomends every 3-4 inches. Given we are paying $11k for product plus intstall on 1300 sf. are we out of touch firing this 2nd contractor and asking them to redo this defective area at their cost? Can the boards be salvaged as the material cost alone is $1500 to $2000.

Can you take some pics of the good area and also the bad area? Also, did you pay in full before you had a chance to inspect the installation?

No piece should have ever been less then 12" long.
How thick was this material?
What did they use as an underlayment?

General Contractor came over and agreed with me. Flooring will be ripped up and reinstalled by the first (good) installer who did a fine job. Unfortunately, for the second subcontractor that came in, he'll eat the cost of the flooring and the payment for the work.

Do it right the first time and you don't have to go back. Sounds like an expensive learning moment for guy number 2.

Back