Basement damage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryce

Reaction score
Hi can you give me your opinion on these photos?

See this wet basement damage, it seems to be all around the basement up to the ground level. The agent said it would cost that much to fix. Does this look an expensive job? Structural damage.

Also see the insulation in the attic, i'm thinking asbestos, but i wouldn't know. You might. Thanks in advance:banana:

house_niagara_wet_basement_1_resize.jpg

house_niagara_wet_basement_2_resize.jpg

house_niagara_wet_basement_3_resize.jpg

house_niagara_wet_basement_4_resize.jpg

house_niagara_wet_basement_5_resize.jpg

Take a sample of the insulation and have it tested. It's not an expensive test to check for asbestos.

If its not an expensive fix for the foundation is the real estate agent willing to split the cost? NEVER rely on a real estate agent for sound advise on cost of repair. Their motive is selling you a house, not repairing them.

If you can show some pics of the outside area next to the house.

Good luck on your house search.

...and bryce...welcome to House Repair Talk!

Get a home inspection if you are serious about the house. American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI Also in Canada.

The foundation is block, and will always look like that, even after you paint it again...it will peel. There are remedies, but they have to be done on the outside. DO NOT finish this basement in the future unless you control the moisture. You can do what you want, just my:2cents:.
The attic insulation?
No idea without testing.:eek:

And the chimney in the attic looks pretty scary, it may need some work.

Look at the electrical also, old panels need upgrading, sometimes you cannot get insurance.

And I always recommend folks get a lawyer for their transaction to help find an inspector if your not comfortable with my suggestion.

Good luck, anything can be fixed...but how much $$ you got??:welcome:

Realestate agents aren't that bad. If they come across sounding dishonest they risk killing the whole deal.

Actually one i talked to today actually agreed that the market is due for a correction and it is a buyers market. Says it's been very slow this year in June, which usually the busiest.
Part of me say just hold off another 6-12 months and it will be 20% cheaper?

So you think the foundations are not so bad, not a structural problem at least.

I found some pic online and it seems asbestos is more blueish. I guess i can rely on the house inspector to determine that, of course i will get a house inspector. Assuming there was some asbestos in there, i'm guessing it would cost a fortune to clean up? And you wouldn't want it just blowing around in the attic would you?

About the attic, would you recommend blowing in insulation?

here's the back with the driveway going right up to it.

house_niagara_back.jpg

Bryce, you are getting water either from subterranean or from run-off/ negative slope of the soil. I don't see a down pipe on the left side of the house, which means you are diverting water a long way to get it to the ground. Water can be overflowing the gutters and finding cracks against the foundation and find its way to the basement. Or you can have the terrain pitched so water flows toward the house and not away from it, both are not good for the health of the structure.

Back