Basement drain flood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi all,

new home owner here.

really nervous regarding this. When I did laundry last week and today my basement flooded. I had a plumber come over and snake it. He pulled out a bunch of tree roots??It solved the drainage problem immediately and the basement dried up in a day. Today (a full week later) I did laundry again and the same problem happened ( but it didn’t happen on Wednesday or Friday when I did laundry). It took a few hours but the basement did drain the flooded water

any ideas here? The plumber is going to check it out again tomorrow but it’s making me neecouz

You probably need to have the whole drain camera inspected, all the way out to the street.
To see what is going on.

How old is your house?

Older sewers can separate and let roots in, or they can sag and crack and let roots and mud in.

You can rod out the roots, but sometimes that exposes an opening in the side of the sewer, which lets mud or gravel into the sewer which causes another clog.

Probably didn't snake the entire length. The drain will work for small amounts but, the volume of water from a washing machine will cause a backup when combined with normal fixture drainage. Basically, moved the clog further down the line.

Back