Basement heat

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlcar2nz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I need to rob from an overhead duct, just adding a round ceiling vent in a small 10x10 home office. What's the best way to tap into it...how to cut in, what's the best method, or should I try something else, i. e., running down a wall? Thanks...

Welcome Stlcar2nz:
You can simply cut a 6" round hole in the duct and install a Hart&Coolie round diffuser in the hole. It has a butterfly damper in it and you can regulate the amount of air flow to the room.
Check your yellow pages for the address of United Refrigeration in St.L.
Glenn

Thanks Glenn...but, I forgot to mention this duct is round...kind of a big factor to leave out.

If you don't have enough return air, putting in a heat register will not have much effect.

Put in a return also. A lack of a return could be the reason for a cold basement.

If it's round then it is a takeoff suppling heat to another room. If you tap into this the room it supplies is going to be cooler. You are far better off taping into the main duct.A cold air return is a must to.

I can see that a trunk line can be round also; I've installed a couple of them. Is it metal pipe or flex duct with the wires and insulation? If it is metal, you may cut a rectangular hole and insert a simple floor register (4 X 10) is sufficient for a small room. The floor register still has some control over the air flow.
If we are talking about flex duct; I'm sorry, I can't help.
Glenn

I can see that a trunk line can be round also; Glenn

oOPPS, your right, must not of had my first cup of coffee yet. I was thinking if its round why not put a tee in and then insert a round vent in the end of the tee. If you need to reduse just get a cap and cut the right sise hole in it to accept the vent.
Just a thought.

Thanks for the help. Hope to have a "plan" by this weekend. BTW, duct is solid round, not flex. Thanks again guys....

Latest posts

Back