Basement Project

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a kneeling pad similar to this when i was doing the flooring. I loaned it and it didn't return home. I have unused knee pads and am thinking maybe I could glue them to a thin pad for use like the one in the pic.

View attachment 30376
If you are doing flooring, spend the $25 for the wheelie at Northern Tools. For some other tasks knee pads might make more sense. Especially on tasks where you aren't moving all over the place. For the knee pads above you'd have to stand up move, put down the pads and kneel down again. For doing plumbing or electrical work probably not an issue.

I don't have access to a Northern Tools is this the same wheelie?

1681230087647.png

Thanks, I think it will help when I dye my kitchen floor grout with walnut hull dye and a toothbrush.

I got the basement trim installed this weekend. I have a few more things to trim out and I'll likely need to do shoe molding on the floor. Then it is caulking and paint touch up on the trim and any dings on the walls. I might actually live to see this project finished.

Big day on my basement project. I passed final inspection today after a few quick fixes that I texted photos of to the inspector.

1. install smoke detectors in all the bedrooms, not required by code when the house was built in 1999, but required now. The only retrofit I had to do to the house.
2. Install TR/WR outlets in my outside outlets. I had the right covers but just regular outlets. May I say I hate TR outlets.
3. Foam the bottom of the duct that my HVAC refrigerant lines use to go up the wall. I had foamed the top where it goes into the house, but not the bottom.
4. Seal up around the service entrance cable for my car charger outlet where it enters the house.
5. One that seems to be controversial on the inner webs, caulk around the base of my toilet. Quick trip to Lowe's and $100 and 30 minutes of work and I was done.

There are still things to be done but none that were required for inspection. I need to finish the stairs, install shoe molding on the LVP, and a few other pieces of finish trim work. But the Town of Cary is out of my hair. I got the reappraisal for property taxes in the mail last week. Yay! More taxes. But it is all official and no worries when we go to sell the house.

I had the same inspector for most of my inspections. He was a pretty good guy to deal with overall.

Big day on my basement project. I passed final inspection today after a few quick fixes that I texted photos of to the inspector.

1. install smoke detectors in all the bedrooms, not required by code when the house was built in 1999, but required now. The only retrofit I had to do to the house.
2. Install TR/WR outlets in my outside outlets. I had the right covers but just regular outlets. May I say I hate TR outlets.
3. Foam the bottom of the duct that my HVAC refrigerant lines use to go up the wall. I had foamed the top where it goes into the house, but not the bottom.
4. Seal up around the service entrance cable for my car charger outlet where it enters the house.
5. One that seems to be controversial on the inner webs, caulk around the base of my toilet. Quick trip to Lowe's and $100 and 30 minutes of work and I was done.

There are still things to be done but none that were required for inspection. I need to finish the stairs, install shoe molding on the LVP, and a few other pieces of finish trim work. But the Town of Cary is out of my hair. I got the reappraisal for property taxes in the mail last week. Yay! More taxes. But it is all official and no worries when we go to sell the house.

I had the same inspector for most of my inspections. He was a pretty good guy to deal with overall.
Good job!

I finally organized the bins for my hardware into a rack that allows me to pull one out without unstacking the whole thing or having them stand on edge. These bins are a big improvement over plastic peanut butter jars. When I go to do a project I can just grab the relevant bin and have a selection of nails, screws, or other hardware. It also allows me to not misplace what's left of a partially used package of screws. I installed a bunch of TV mounts at our church and rather than throwing out the left over screws and other hardware I started saving it. Doing so, has saved me much more than the cost of the tote storing it in metric machine screws and trips to Lowe's to buy a few when needed. This sits on a shelf above my workbench. And it was made with left over plywood I had laying around.

IMG_0130 (1).jpegIMG_0131 (1).jpeg

That's a great idea and one I could/should use. Where did you get the bins?
I got mine at Harbor Freight. If I were doing it again I'd go with a better brand. I have one non-Harbor Freight one that isn't in the racks, as it is a bit bigger than the larger HF ones. For ease of constructing a rack, I'd stick with one brand. I have my electrical supplies in that one.

If I was in the trades I'd definitely go for a stronger design. The HF ones aren't bad, but there are better ones out there that aren't much more expensive. The bins are a great way to organize your stuff that allows you to grab and go depending on what your project is.

Latest posts

Back