basement tiles are clobbered

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuzzat?

Reaction score
and, yes, they contain asbestos but the mastic doesn't.

The trouble with retiling is that the concrete is mildly curved downward in the area of a floor drain. This area probably has a two foot radius around the center drain and the drain is maybe a half inch below the floor surface.
Since tiles don't stretch [?], this curved surface cannot be perfectly covered, so one suggestion was to paint the concrete.

The tiles can be cut into a trapezoid shape which will approximate this funnel surface but I've never done this.
Sounds like I should first experiment with all the loose tiles I have. . .:D

It could also be that water poured onto the floor will pool and so this curved drain is only working within its radius and so I might as well bring the drain opening up to the floor level and then just retile.

The upsides and downsides of either approach are welcome, including other options. :)
You guys come up with stuff I never would have thought of. :)

Last edited:
Sheet vinyl ? It conforms, at least it did when I did it. Except with mine the drain was the highest place in the basement, go figure.

Acid stain and a clear coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair
Thanks, I didn't know this existed.
BTW, it turns out there is another tile layer underneath this one and
the water does pool so this funnel area only works within two feet of the furnace and WH.

The nearby sump can absorb 1 GPM so this would cover a 'water event' like pinhole leak in a pipe.

Non-molding tiles everywhere except around the drain. use the smaller squares with mesh and grout around the drain.

Back