Basment Wall?

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by kc2651, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Dec 15, 2007 #1

kc2651

kc2651

kc2651

If a concrete block wall is underground does it need insulation or is the ground sufficent? if not i understand that i shoud use to the styro foam insulation just to control moisture absorbtion can it just be glued to the block wall and then frame and drywall?

2. Dec 15, 2007 #2

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Hello KC:
    The concrete blocks need to be insulated to at least 30" underground but I would use the styrofoam on the whole wall to make it even up. Make sure you use a glue that won't disolve the foam. You can even glue the drywall or paneling to the foam if you like; not easy but it can be done. If you feel you must use framing, make sure you use treated wood rated for ground contact.
    Glenn

3. Dec 16, 2007 #3

ToolGuy

ToolGuy

ToolGuy

You can attach 2x2 furring strips every 16" on center, then use 1-1/2" foam panels between them. I typically glue and tapcon the furring to the block, makes for a really solid wall. Doing it with furring strips is a lot easier and you don't lose nearly as much useable living space.

4. Dec 20, 2007 #4

kc2651

kc2651

kc2651

thanks for all your help everyone:)

5. Jan 7, 2008 #5

Phatboy

Phatboy

Phatboy

That is a really good point. Thanks for the tip.

6. Jan 10, 2009 #6

shuship

shuship

shuship

ToolGuy - Is that all the insulation that is needed (foam)? What about the plastic sheeting (visqueen)? Is that needed? I've heard/read differing ways of doing it, but was just wondering what is the most widely used and perhaps longer lasting. Please dont think of this as thread jacking, I was just trying to expand upon what had already been talked about.
    thanks....shu

7. Jan 11, 2009 #7

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

Toolguy does not come around anymore, but we do have more basement threads which are just as filled with information. Check those out and start a thread with your basement project on it. Folks around here like to see folks doing it themselves and help them out with questions. And the pictures.:) Use the search button.