Bath sink no overflow hole?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hi guys. Our double vanity mast bathroom sinks don't have any overflow protection, there's no holes! I was wondering if maybe the installers forgot to predrill them? I've never seen this before on a bath sink.
I went under there to investigate drilling probability and found that the underside of the sink bowl has a plastic or fiberglass type of thing over the actual slate or whatever marble looking material the top of the sink is made from. I'm thinking the plastic feeling under bowl is a catch basin for water coming in from the overflow that doesn't exist. Also under there I noticed that flat area that the drain tube connects to is made from the hard slate like material that the top side is made from.
This plastic under bowl is weird so I'm confused if it's a overflow catch or what. So should I grab a small masonry bit and attempt to drill it out??

Attachments

• IMG_5302.JPG
    IMG_5302.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5303.JPG
    IMG_5303.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5304.JPG
    IMG_5304.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5305.JPG
    IMG_5305.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5306.JPG
    IMG_5306.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5307.JPG
    IMG_5307.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5308.JPG
    IMG_5308.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 4
The sink was obviously poured without the drain, so there is actually no economical way to create an overflow prevention, so, just live with it.

The sink was obviously poured without the drain, so there is actually no economical way to create an overflow prevention, so, just live with it.
That's what I initially thought BUT what's this plastic bowl over the bottom side of the "poured" bowl? None of the other Sinks have it and they all the same type of sink

Beats me, In over 45yrs. in the trades I've never seen a sink, composite or cast, without an overflow prevention drain.

Back