Bathroom Exhaust - Easiest way

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raystown1015

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a mobile home that has metal siding on the exterior and I do have drywall in my bathroom.

It has never had a exhaust fan installed in the bathroom but it does a have a window. However the moisture really stays in the bathroom which has caused some mold. I will be using mold control and painting with mold blocking paint but I wanted to prevent this from happening again.

We usually open the window but in the Winter we don't and sometimes other people in the household forget which causes the moisture to stay in.

What is my easiest option?

1st idea - Is there a type of fan I could just put in the window and run an extension cord to? If so would I be able to leave it in the window with it open all the time is there a way to prevent the rain from coming in? I think this method would require putting the fan in and out and closing the window which would result in someone continuing to forget to do it.

2nd idea - is a wall mounted exhaust fan but I do want to do this the easiest way that requires less work. I have drywall and I don't really want to mess my walls up too much and creating more work.

I do have a light fixture above my vanity. It is kind of too large and bright with the amount of bulbs so I was thinking of putting the exhaust fan there where the electric is already at and adding a smaller light???

What do you think?

Wherever you put it, keep in mind you need exterior access. Do you have easy access to the outside above the vanity fixture, i.e. is the vanity on an outside wall or interior wall? Got pix?

Yes it is on an outside wall above the vanity. Any links to a product that would work best would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any pictures but I can take some.

Thanks!

If aesthetics are important, then the 2nd is , marginally the least intrusive.

You can power the fan from the light fixture "J" box, however when the light is on the fan in on, unless you want to run a separate switch using wire mold.

Adding a box to the exterior wall would require running wiring (unless there is already wiring) but it's fairly simple & stores sell wall-mount exhaust fans that can vent to the outside.
If you already have a light fixture & don't like it, putting an exhaust fan/light combo there would also be good- but it would require ducting to be added & run to the outside. I believe that would be more expensive than the wall option.

Back