Bathroom Exterior Wall help

Discussion in 'Insulation and Radiant Barriers' started by biddlecom, Mar 27, 2017.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 27, 2017 #1

biddlecom

biddlecom

biddlecom

I have a small 10’x6’ bathroom and am completely gutting and redoing it. I have a question about the exterior and kitchen wall (the red lines in the picture). Do I put sheetrock on the tub wall, backer board, plastic anything? The exterior wall should I just put insulation or plastic as well. My bathroom will not have a vent but does have a window. I live in Maine and my exterior walls are set up from outside to inside – vinyl siding, plastic, foam board, diagonal boards to studs, roxal batt insulation, (no plastic) then sheetrock.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. Mar 27, 2017 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Up here it would be insulation, vapour barrier tub on exterior wall.
    If it is just a tub, drywall to the lip and one row of tile over the lip.
    If tiling a shower above the tub, backer board fill with thin set, redgard sealer and tile.

3. Oct 30, 2017 #3

aNYCdb

aNYCdb

aNYCdb

It depends on a number of things.

1) Is it just a tub or a tub/shower
    2) Are you going to tile?

Personally I would do cement board on both the kitchen and exterior wall (and the wall between the tub and sink), with either a plastic vapor barrier between the studs and the board or better yet a memebrane (redguard) over the cement board around the tub (but don't do both the plastic and the membrane). I would then tile where I want tile and do a skim coat with mud where you are going to paint. Then green board on the bedroom wall.