Bathroom Fan not working

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannongirl

Reaction score
20190619_074938.jpg 20190619_075041.jpg 20190619_075112.jpg 20190619_075001.jpg 20190619_075018.jpg Hi again,
sorry for another post but I thought I should separate them.
so i tend to use my bathroom fan a lot. it stopped working several weeks ago. Everything else worked (at the time)- outlet, lights. so i assume its the motor in the fan just quit?
I'm looking at it and it looks like it plugs in but .....
How do you replace it? OMG!! sigh....
I don't see any screws and it seems to be just kind of wedged into the metal box in the ceiling.
do you replace the whole fan structure and just are they all basically usually the same size and you just push it into the metal frame.
I don't even see how you get this old one out.
Also stupid question but see one of the photos attached- it almost looks like it is plugged into itself!
the house was built in the 80's so I'm told so its probably ancient.
double :(

Last edited by a moderator:
The motor is mounted too, and held in place by the bracket. you unplug and remove the screws holding the bracket and the assembly can be removed.

20190619_074938.jpg

The fan motor and Impeller are either two separate parts, or an assembly and are generally available at hrdw. or the big boxes.

Thank you much. did you mean to attach a photo?

The motor is mounted too, and held in place by the bracket. you unplug and remove the screws holding the bracket and the assembly can be removed.

20190619_074938.jpg

The fan motor and Impeller are either two separate parts, or an assembly and are generally available at hrdw. or the big boxes.

Remove your old motor and fan and take it with you to one of the home centers. They will help you get the correct match. It will be something like this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Broan-Replacement-Motor-and-Impeller-for-659-and-678-Bathroom-Exhaust-Fans-S97012038/202920964?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD26P%7C26-2_AIR_CIRCULATION-ACCES%7CNA%7CPLA%7CEvapCoolers%7c71700000052590833%7c58700005054698689%7c92700044209219502&gclid=CjwKCAjw3azoBRAXEiwA-_64OoyvQ7Qe7AQlUADcaboFYsXLfq_EBdrt1e2MsEva1QKkh-kMtDAZkhoCUyMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you want to make sure it is not in the wiring pull the plug and check voltage at the plug or plug a light in and see if it lights when the fan switch is on.

After you have determined you have power at the plug-in and you are sure this is not related to your other electrical issues, look for a single screw at one side of the fan box. When you remove that screw you can get the plate holding the fan and bracket to pivot down and release from the box. You may have to use a screw driver to pry things loose a bit. You will then have a plate the same size as your fan box with the motor and fan blades in your hand. You can do an extra check of your fan motor by plugging it into an outlet to see if it runs. If not then follow Bud's post to obtain a new motor and fan blades. The two nuts on the bottom of the motor bracket release the motor from plate and bracket, but you will not be able to remove the fan from the unit without taking the whole plate out of the box. It is not hard once you figure out how it goes together. If there isn't a screw visible then it is probably just wedged into box the as you suggest and held up by a metal tab. Again just use a screwdriver to gently disengage the metal tab and get the whole plate to pivot down. I can see the side with the two barbs into the box in your pictures but not the opposite side which is where it should release.

Last edited:
Looks like the bracket is spot-welded to the box, but you may be able to remove the motor/fan assembly only by unscrewing the 2 nuts holding the motor to the bracket, and then if you hold your tongue just right you can slide the motor out and slide the new one in.

Probably just another person with a problem who expects others to take time to help them and doesn’t have the courtesy to come back to post their results.

Back