Bathroom Help!!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikeologist

Reaction score
I have an older home, and my bathroom has serious moisture problems when you run the shower.

I am told I will need to install a fan vent over the shower, that will duct out the roof to the outside. I am fine with that, but I am planning on remodelling my bathroom within the next year or so.

My problem is that my attic is full of insulation, but there is no plastic holding the insulation up. So if i begin to remove the drywall or plaster, wont all of that insulation from the attic come falling into the bathroom?

Also, with no plastic to act as a vapor barrier, will the moisture from the bathroom when you run the shower, go up into the attic and cause mold in the insulation?

Please help!

Thanks!

If your not remodeling now but will be in the next year then just put the new fan in and leave the rest but not for to long.Another way to go is to just do the ceiling and new fan. Go up into the attic and remove the insulation then go back in the room and strip the drywall, then install your new fan and anything else you might do later( do it now instead of later)then vapour barrier, drywall. Go in the attic and reinsulate and then do the drywall finishing, prime and paint with a good moisture resistant paint. Now when you remodel you won't have to do any ceiling work.

What do i do just move the insulation into a pile in the attic, then when im done with the ceiling work in the bathroom just push it back and level it out?

You got it at least thats all I do unless the Insulation does not look very good then replace with new.

What about just puting new drywall over the old? this would only lower the ceiling about a half an inch. this way there would be no risk of all of the insulation falling in, or having to move it all in the attic.

If that would work, how do you do that? put lath up and nail to that, or how does that work?

I will assume you are going to install a fan. Keep in mind that you have to install a fan that is sized appropriately for the size of the room. The last one I bought had the max sq ft room size for the fan in the box. Now the problem is that there will be air escaping from around any fixtures in the ceiling with no Vapor barrier so removing the drywall and starting over is really the best way to go here. If you really are bent on not removing the drywall you will have to make sure there is not a thread of mold or mildew in that ceiling. All your going to do is trap it and that is going to come back to haunt you. Any ceiling fixtures will need to be lowered a 1/2" and Tuck tape them to the ceiling board thats there now so at least those gaps are sealed. Now Install the new board directly to the present board (no straping). You will need 2 to 2-1/4" drywall screws when installing the new board. Now tape and finish then use a top quality drywall sealer( I use Ben Moore) apply two coats and then two coats of moisture resistant paint.

yeah removing it is probably the best way to go, although there is no ceiling fixtures right now, but will be once the fan is installed.

The only lighting in the bathroom is on the wall over the mirror and vanity.

What kind of fan do you recommend? One with a fan, a light, and someone told me about a heating one.

I have always found that fans with a light restrick the air flow and the heated one your asking about is probably the one where you put a heat lamp in (looks like a red flood light). If you can get one with enough cfm they can be nice But I would put it on a timer so if it gets left on it will automaticly turn off.

Hey! I also want to remodel my bathroom and looking for some ideas. Thanks for sharing this informative post.

Back