bathroom paint work is being undone

Help Support House Repair Talk:

gghrt000

Reaction score
2-3 years back, i did a paint job using the bathroom tub paint kit from homedepot. I did pretty thorough work or so I thought but then just about a year ago, paint started peeling in a particularly nasty way (pic below). Now there are 3 distinct spots in my tub that are showing the sign of peel and wear exposing the older layer. I am thinking about buying the same kit and do the job again.

The only thing I am contemplating is whether I should re-do the whole tub paint job or just re-do the section where it is paint.

I compeltely forgot the name of kit may be if i go to same store again and will be able to look and fetch from back of my mind.

Here is the image
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3DhpDRraIdrS3dSVmVXOHZ1bXc

Last edited:

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
2-3 years back, i did a paint job using the bathroom tub paint kit from homedepot. I did pretty thorough work or so I thought but then just about a year ago, paint started peeling in a particularly nasty way (pic below). Now there are 3 distinct spots in my tub that are showing the sign of peel and wear exposing the older layer. I am thinking about buying the same kit and do the job again.

The only thing I am contemplating is whether I should re-do the whole tub paint job or just re-do the section where it is paint.

I compeltely forgot the name of kit may be if i go to same store again and will be able to look and fetch from back of my mind.

Here is the image
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3DhpDRraIdrS3dSVmVXOHZ1bXc
I guess we missed this post, the link is no longer there.
What did you do here.

joecaption

Reaction score
The last three DIY finished tubs I got stuck dealing with, when I called in two different Pro refinishers they would not touch it without stripping every inch of the DIY applied stuff first at a huge up charge and would not warranty the work.
We ended up replacing the whole thing.

C

chrisn

The last three DIY finished tubs I got stuck dealing with, when I called in two different Pro refinishers they would not touch it without stripping every inch of the DIY applied stuff first at a huge up charge and would not warranty the work.
but, but but, it CAN be done

gghrt000

Reaction score
that could be a either one way to pent up charges or making superb job depending on who you are. Interpretation largely depends on how thick you wallet is.

Mastercarpenty

Reaction score
A Pro tub refinish job generally lasts 5+ years at best. The DIY kits go 1-2 years at best, often less. The smart answer is to just replace the tub with a new one which will last decades- it's far cheaper in the long run.

For cheapo rentals I now just wash with TSP and use spray-can lacquer. Good for a few months and cheap. Doesn't peel or flake, just wears through, and then a quick touch-up is good for a few more months. Not super-pretty but OK for most folks, and easy to DIY.

Phil