Bathroom Remodel - I

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnm99

Reaction score
Ok... Here I am again looking to make some changes in our new home. I am working on the bathroom now and have come with some questions...

I have a bit of a mold problem I believe above the shower. Well at least its a black substance on the sheetrock... 1st I guess I should ask whether or not I should leave the old shower in or if I ought to just rip it out...

I would rather leave it as opposed to ripping it out of the hole... but will do what needs to be done... If I leave it there can I scrape the texture down and bleach the mold or vice versa and then just tile over it... or whats my next step here...

Thanks for your ideas

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

John,
You have mold. Mold is a way of life in a humid environment. From the pictures, I'm guessing you have kids. Mold can effect lung development and breathing. Many say that a little mold never killed anyone. I was raised on an island in a moldy house. We left the light bulb on in the closet to prevent mold growth - the ignorant 60s.

After the hurricane we had massive mold - flooding, humid environment, no electricity for a week. I scoured the EPA and FEMA websites. FEMA lady told us to bleach the walls and paint with KILZ.

For an immediate result, I would bleach the painted wall, let it dry and use lysol. Then I would paint with Kilz and apply a semi gloss paint. I would NOT tile over it.

I am attaching a picture. This is a bedroom that we took out the drywall because of mold from the hurricane flooding. This is the backside of our tiled bathroom. Notice the mold spots on the wall? We will be ripping out the tile and the crummy drywall to this bathroom later. We are tackling one project at a time.

I suspect they used plain old drywall (white sheetrock) or green board (green drywall) in your house too. To make it right - I'd rip it out. There are better products. Durarock (cement board) should be used in bathroom showers.

049.jpg

Hey saw the pics, just make sure the source of the problem is fixed.

If you need some products for mold removal and then need to make sure it does not come back, they have a kit that does this. I found out about it from the Mold Manuscript course.

It is called Safe Shield and Molderizer. These products worked well on my mold problem. I just remediated a bathroom myself and follow the protocols on the moldmansucript course and I had it done in about 3 days.

My problem was... I did not find the source of the problem and fix it first. That costed me a few bucks.

my old home had the same issue, glad i dont live there anymore

Latest posts

Back