Bathroom reno

Discussion in 'HouseRepairTalk Website Help' started by awesomerOhYa, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1

awesomerOhYa

awesomerOhYa

awesomerOhYa

In a mobile home what thickness of sub flooring do I need, I want to tile my floor and tub surround and the wall surrounding the tub to the floor, along with a back splash at the vanity. Just simple and basic yet very noticeably modern and inexpensive

2. Nov 6, 2013 #2

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

The issue is not the "mobile home", it is the performance of the subfloor. Light weight subflooring needs to be stabilized to prevent flexing ... which leads to cracking of grout and tiles.

Others may have more experience, but for the floor I would use 1/2" Hardie Board and make sure you rigorously follow the screw pattern they require. Same goes with the gap and taping.

For the backsplash, and vanity, water proofing will be important too. Hardie Board with sealant (RedGuard or Dragon Shield) applied to the corners. You might want to call the Hardie people and get their input too.

http://hardieboard.org/

Sounds like fun ... Good luck

3. Nov 7, 2013 #3

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

CallMeVilla likes this.
  4. Nov 7, 2013 #4

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

Neal's catch is excellent ... They recommend what I suspected -- apply a new subfloor PLUS the Hardie Board. That will build up uour floor height so pay attention to this ...

5. Nov 7, 2013 #5

Drywallinfo

Drywallinfo

Drywallinfo

I have used 1/2" Durock (similar to Hardieboard) over my plywood subfloor under all my new tile and have yet to have any grout or tile cracking. It will also give you a much more solid stable finished floor. I used thinset under my Durock and also screwed it down. Yes, and as mentioned, you may have to adjust some things for the new floor height - for my bathroom it is was simply a matter of sawing off 3/4" from the door bottom, but for my kitchen it was a little more involved.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  6. Mar 12, 2015 #6

player99

player99

player99

You need atleast 1inch under tile in any home in order not to have movement,if there is movement you will get cracks.

nealtw likes this.