Bathroom Wall/Ceiling Warping and Cracking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Dan_

Reaction score
The corner-picture is of where the wall at the back of my shower meets the ceiling, and the picture with the vent is of the bathroom ceiling itself. In the first picture, I've noticed that the ceiling has started to separate from the white piece of wood between it and the wall, with the crack starting out a little wider at the corner-end before getting smaller and thinner as it continues along the length of the wall to the right, as though the wood has begun to warp. Its bottom-edge also seems to be wearing away from where it meets the wall.

The second picture shows a crease running across the width of my bathroom ceiling, with a much shorter, much fainter crease running parallel to it, about four or five inches to the right (might be harder to see in the picture). The space between the two creases is faintly bowed.

What would be the cause of these issues, and how should I approach repairing them, as well as preventing them from reoccurring?

Attachments

• IMG_1575.JPEG
    IMG_1575.JPEG
    45.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1578.JPEG
    IMG_1578.JPEG
    30.6 KB · Views: 10
The 1st photo looks like the crown molding was not correctly nailed, so if you can push up and add some nailing, then painters caulk should correct the rest.

As for the cracks, you'll need to determine if the ceiling has loosened and is uneven.

One other thing, are you using the fan all the time while showering? I've had a problem in my kid's bathroom with a tape seam above the shower because they wouldn't run the fan. Fixed that problem by making the fan come on with the light. A higher end fan with a humidity sensor helps, but rewiring the switch was free.

Just a thought ‧ ‧ ‧ has this house sat unoccupied for a long period? Drywall problems can occur when a house just sits for a time.

Sorry for the delay with responding! Yes, I always run the fan when I shower, which is why I'm also wondering if something might be wrong with it if these issues are occurring. The house is a two-floor condo with me on the ground and another home above mine, and hasn't sat unoccupied for a long period of time by myself or, as far as I know, the previous homeowner.

About your suggestions (which I'm very grateful for!), how / where specifically would I add nailing to the crown molding, and how would I determine if the ceiling has loosened or is uneven? If it is, where should I go from there?

If you do not already have some DIY tools, I would find a handyman, and there is likely someone who is known to the residents.

You can hold a yardstick, perpendicular to the crack, to note surface deflections.

If you do not already have some DIY tools, I would find a handyman, and there is likely someone who is known to the residents.

You can hold a yardstick, perpendicular to the crack, to note surface deflections.

I'm starting to think a handyman might be a wiser option. Thank you for the suggestion!

Just be prudent, in your selection process.
Board members often may recommend trades, and tout them as,"well qualified & knowledgable of the building" as well as "the board requirements".
Which also can have, but not necessarily, the exponent of corrupt influence.

Back