bathroom wall handle

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
I was talking to my grandpa the other day, and he was saying that he will be needing a handle on the wall of his shower. The shower wall is vinyl and doesn't sit flush against the wall, and was wondering is there a way to put a spacer in so the wall doesn't collapse when screwing in the brackets?

If by handle, you are referring to grab bars, they are recommended to be installed to a solid or stable sub-strait, and if by vinyl you are referring to a fiberglass tub surround, they are glued to a stable sub-strait.

You may need to be selective in the length as well as the placement of these handicapped assist devices, like near the corners, several directions and close to the edge of the surrounds.

If it is like a 1 piece shower, you would have to get in the wall from the other side and add solid blocking between the shower wall and the stud.

I just did 5 of them for a person needing some help the other day. All different locations in the home. They had purchased them all and I just installed them.

One of them was a suction cup deal and I didn’t trust it much but I used it in the shower in a non critical location. I was actually very surprised at how well it held and how strong the bond was. Depending on the persons need and how much they weigh I could see using them.

They live in a condo...so i'm not sure what they are allowed to do or if there is access to the other side of the wall. He is a good sized man around 6'. Not sure what the suction cup handles will handle

If you are considering the suction style, then by all means, test them because they can release at the most inappropriate moment.

I do not use or install them and if the customer has them, they are on their own.

Like I said I installed one (suction cups) that they had and it was of good quality. I wasn’t fond of the idea and placed it in the location that would be used more for stability than actual holding a persons full weight. I did hang on it pretty good at least 200 pounds worth and it stayed in place. Of course the surface has to be smooth and flat and anything that lets air under the cup will make that one side get loose.

At the vary least advise them that if you put one in to test it with tug before pulling themselves up with it.

In my upstairs bathroom I have a claw foot tub that we use as a shower. I have a frame hanging from the ceiling that holds a surround curtain. When I get in and out of the tub I reach up and lightly hold that frame just for added stability. I know if I hung from it I would rip the whole thing from the ceiling.

I look at these suction cup things kind of in that same way only installed properly they are much stronger than my curtain rod.

On a side note maybe you should be looking at an in shower seat also if they don’t have one. The one I recently did I removed the bi fold door and put a rod and curtain so the shower would work with the seat better.

All new construction it would be nice if they had at least one handicap bathroom in the plan. The house we bought had a first floor handicap bath and a wheelchair ramp into the house. When we remodeled I thought about taking both out and decided to leave them both. Really glad I did now.

We have a suction cup grab bar that we have used when my sister visits. i attached to the smooth shower wall (acrylic?) and it stayed up for about two weeks and worked well while my sister was here. But then, while doing nothing, it just fell off. I heard the noise from another room and went in to find it on the floor. So I would suggest keeping it in reserve and maybe move it around as needed, but don't count it in your plans.

If I were not able to use fasteners , then I would resort to a glue. I would first find the location that is best for the suction cup support, then, mark the area, clean off all soap or/and mineral deposits from the wall and the suction cup, then scuff up the area with sand paper to remove the glaze, apply silicone adhesive to the entire surface of the suction cup and secure it to the wall and give it plenty of time to cure, plus a few more days, I would then try to pull it off the wall from all directions.
The idea is to spread out the load over as wide an area as possible, just screwing it to the vinyl won't give it enough support and the vinyl will eventually crack. Of course the best way is to do it is the way NealW says

Back