Bathtub Recurring Issue!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchaarInvestments

Reaction score
I recently replaced a rotted out tub drain from 1987 with a brand new direct fit drain. The problem is, no matter how well it is sealed, after a few days water starts to trickle out from where the drain and waste shoe connect.

I have pulled the drain out, made sure the seal was good, and put plumbers putty around the drain and secured a tight accurate fit. But still, every few days, it starts to slowly leak, which is beginning to destroy the ceiling below.

What are my options? I cut a small access hole behind the tub, it's the best I could do, but this leak is recurring and is annoying.

Any helps, previous experiences, etc.. would be much appreciated!

Thanks.:banana:

I think the putty only stops water from going down the drain, the gasket under the tub stops water from leaking out. Does the pipe come up sqaure to the tub, is the rust or crude in the gasket area, has putty worked it's way into the gasket area.

A common mistake is to put the rubber washer above the tub surface. Happens to the best of them ...

The pic shows the proper orientation of the washer and putty (or white washer as they suggest). If you put the rubber washer on top, no amount of putty will prevent a leak.

Hope this simple observation solves your problem

TUB.jpg

Thanks Villa. So, I don't have a white washer, it only came with the rubber washer. I'm assuming i would need to scrape out the old putty under the assembly and replace it with that washer. Hope this solves my problem.

Thank you for your help.

Back